General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 31-May-11 17:18:37
Print Post

Tooway Satellite or Sharedbond?

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm giving up on FTTC, although our exchange (Maidenhead) is enabled, don't think our area is going to be cost effective and there's no sign of it. So I'm looking at 2 options:

1. Sharedband (got 2 lines at the moment ~1mb each) about £280 setup and £120 a year on top of the 2 ADSL subscriptions and extra line rental (about £60 a month for 2mb at best)

2. Tooway Satellite - going with a rental package, about £150 setup then £50 a month. Claimed speeds at 10mb up/2mb down. Will need to keep one ISP going for fixed IP address (needed for business and IP restricted comms I need to make), so total cost on that about £65 a month.

I am swaying towards the Satellite, however I have reservations about non UK IP addresses, port blocking and Latency. The first two I'm waiting on confirmation from the provider (Avonline plc) but the latency concerns me.

So the questions I have:

Latency - 250ms from what i have read... what impact does that have on 1) browsing and 2) large file downloads/movie streaming (LoveFilm/XBox).

Also if anyone has any better solutions, my ears are open. Or any comments on Avonline plc as a provider would be interesting.

Thanks

Tom
Standard User tdjohn
(newbie) Tue 31-May-11 17:22:31
Print Post

Re: Tooway Satellite or Sharedbond?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry - this was me - did not realise I was not logged in.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-May-11 18:01:59
Print Post

Closer to 500ms once the data has gone up to the satellite and come back down.

Thus latency means no to online gaming, some games like poker may be ok, but shooters would be impossible.

Browsing, it will not feel as good as say a 10Meg land based service, since web pages are not one single entity but often many different parts pulled from many different servers, and facebook/twitter et al with all their dynamic updates will perhaps be a pain.

For file downloads, and video streaming it should be OK though. Lovefilm is only a 1 to 1.5Meg stream, XBox I would tend to err towards downloading before playback.

I presume you have exhausted all options to make the 1Meg lines run any faster already?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 31-May-11 18:09:15
Print Post

what IP profiles do the two lines have ? upstream & downstream sync speeds ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-11 20:50:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Don't forget though that satellite solutions tend to have lousy download allowances which would get gobbled up pretty quickly with large downloads and/or streaming.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User tdjohn
(newbie) Tue 31-May-11 22:54:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help, to answer:

Line 1:
Upstream: 612
Downstream: 750
Sync speed: 864
BRAS Profile: ADSL750
Interleave: Auto

Still waiting for stats for the second line, only migrated to new ISP this past week, activated today. However it tests here at 1.1mb.

Always found it odd how there is a significant difference between the 2, both lines installed new about 10 months ago, replacement line from the street.
Standard User tdjohn
(newbie) Tue 31-May-11 23:06:43
Print Post

Thanks for the response.

Yea, I'm familiar with the fact a page has many elements that come from all over the place - that's my concern with regards to the latency, that 500ms figure comcerns me even more.

I'm not so bothered about gaming, and anything that's not performance critical but needs fixed IP address, low latency, etc I can route through the Zen ADSL (running a Watchguard XTM). But if everything ends up on this connection I'd rather go down the Sharedband route.

I've just been reading through the guide in your sig. I've got faceplate microfilters with extensions running from those (from the extension punched on the back). I know that the alarm has the ringer connected, and that's on the slower line, so i think i'll try removing that, see if it helps

Cheers

Tom
Standard User tdjohn
(newbie) Tue 31-May-11 23:08:53
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Yea, the option I've been looking at is 13gb/m, that said I use Zen as an ISP and only get 10gb/m on each line, and I only hit about 50% usage a month. That said, that's mainly due to the fact the performance does not encourage use smile.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Jun-11 09:11:07
Print Post

[re: tdjohn] [link to this post]

Got the attenuation figures?

If downstream is above 63dB then probably not much can be done, if under that value then you are under performing.

the difference required for one line to sync at 864 and another at just over 1.1 is minimal.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tdjohn
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 10:07:41
Print Post

Where do i get the attenuation figures? I can't see them on the Zen portal.

Have the second line information now:

Upstream: 0
Downstream: 1250
Sync Rate: 1440
BRAS Profile: ADSL1250
Interleave: Auto

Thanks

Tom
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to