General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GigabitG
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 16:09:23
Print Post

Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) user experiences?

[link to this post]

I'm interested in hearing what experiences people have had with EFM, Ethernet in the First Mile. I should point out that my company is promoting EFM on behalf of a UK ISP, but the purpose of this post is to get any feedback on user experiences with a view to featuring these within a blog we'll be putting on our website in due course.

At a recent conference I went to BT, Talk Talk, Entanet and a few other ISPs were raving about how EFM makes leased lines affordable to businesses who might be frustrated with broadband services, but who previously may have thought leased lines too expensive.... that's the hype... any truth??

For a non technical summary about EFM, people might find this link of interest:
http://www.ethernet-in-the-first-mile.com/about-ethe...
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:04:15
Print Post

Re: Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) user experiences?

[re: GigabitG] [link to this post]

no experiences due to lack of availability. It certainly seems to offer lower cost leased line type capability (esp upstream) if you're close enough to the exchange.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RutlandTelecom
(learned) Fri 01-Jul-11 18:00:15
Print Post

Re: Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) user experiences?

[re: GigabitG] [link to this post]

We have 2 customers 1km from the exchange and still get 5Mbps up/down per copper pair. No customoers on longer lines yet so lack of data to draw meaningful conclusions on line length

Also good results with bonded lines - most we have done is 4 lines giving > 20Mbps up/down. Can bond up to 8 on our kit (Zhone)

In the bonded scenario, if one line fails service continues at lower bandwidth so some resilience is possible

It is certainly an excellent alternative to fibre at these bandwidths.

Rutland Telecom
Smallest County - Biggest Broadband!
Lyddington: The UK's first deployment of FTTC (subloop unbundling) with MPF

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to