General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 09:43:39
Print Post

Question about Satellite broadband

[link to this post]

I know you have to use a phone line still with Satellite broadband, but is the speed determined by the length of the phone line?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 10:04:49
Print Post

Re: Question about Satellite broadband

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

The phone line is only neccessary with one way satellite services, i.e. dial-up or ADSL is used to send your requests for data. Largely these services are dissappearing.

What is more common is two way services e.g. the new KA-BAND products, where your satellite dish transmits as well as receives and thus has no requirement for a phone line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Sep-11 18:38:22
Print Post

With Tooway satellite service no telephone line is required. As the name of the service suggests this is a two way system. Download speeds starting at 6Mbps and upload of 1Mbps upto 10Mbps downoad and 4Mbps upload.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User renald
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-11 12:25:43
Print Post

One way connection needs a telephone line for uploads whereas two-way satellite connection requires different type of satellite dish.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 01-Nov-11 18:23:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

tooway are the trading name of Skylogic and have some stunning products for internet connection in hard to reach places. Tooway do not deal directy with customers but have a route to market through a dealer/distributor channel. Some have decided the best way to market is to bamboozle prospective customers by calling themselves Tooway IE Direct, Broadband, 10Mbps.
I found a really good company in middle England who are straight talking, professional and offer fixed installation pricing on all tooway products (SKYLOGIC). Check the small print on all the offers from the "tooway" crowd. And be careful of the Additional charges if its not a standard install.
The company I found is notspot broadband and can be found on dot com. Give them a call.
Standard User weatheredskies
(newbie) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:10:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

How much does satellite broadband usually cost. I can't get a quote for Newsat, they seem to be the only one offering something for where I live, in the Kimberly region.
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:17:41
Print Post

[re: weatheredskies] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Satellite broadband costs widely differ from company to company. many big names who are offering low prices, seem to have hidden set up costs or tie you down to a 2 year contract.

Also to take into consideration is asking your satellite broadband provider about contention ratios. this is how many people the link is going to be shared with. the larger companies who offer a cheaper price often increase the contention ratio so you may not be getting the speeds you have paid for.

One last thing to consider is what satellite the signal is coming from. research is definitely needed on this matter. We are using the Hylas1 satellite that can be considered to be the more reliable and professional solution, many businesses op especially for this system as it has a good reputation.

If you would like to know anything else about satellite broadband systems I am happy to help.!

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Twitter: HySpeedBB
  Print Thread

Jump to