General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 12:02:32
Print Post

does the wind effect your system? *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jan-12 13:59:51
Print Post

Re: does the wind effect your system?

[re: HySpeedBroadband] [link to this post]

If you have the experience you clain I would have thought you would have the answers, or is this just advertising?
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-12 14:20:15
Print Post

Not wishing to be pickky but I can think of instances where satellite cannot deliver services, because of planning, visibility of sat location, and also if uplink transmit as well, where transmissions could interfer with air safety. That said the sat itself could still beam to the whole of the UK, just conditions on the ground preclude it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-12 14:29:10
Print Post

hi,

wind does not affect signals in any way at all. No more than it affects light..

It is a common misconception people ave that wind affects radio and to some extent rain.

Saying that, Heavy Rain will affect satellite services as the distances involved and the fact the signal has to pass through many layers of rain and clouds to get to you.

Wind is usually only responsible for damaging aerials , moving dishes (dishes are extremely high wind loads) or causing objects to travel through the air at speed and crash into dishes/aerials smile

And i concur about "anywhere in the UK" , that is not true at all . Local tree cover and terrain can completely preclude satellite use. Also planning is a big issue as most 2 way satellite dishes are very large and near impossible to hide as they need to see the sky..

In reply to a post by HySpeedBroadband:
Hello,

just wondering for furute reference how much the wind effects the satellite dish itself or the signal strength, being quite covered in London, ours stayed on.

just wondering if anyone had any problems with it at all?

Kind Regards

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 14:59:26
Print Post

[re: anon1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anon1:
If you have the experience you clain I would have thought you would have the answers, or is this just advertising?

Although I do have experience, I currently do not live everywhere in the UK, so cannot check myself. Nor do I have satellite systems up in Scotland (at this time), for example where wind speeds reached 120mph.

And for future reference having people give their views back about wind effecting their signal or damaging their satellite dish may help when giving advice in the future. So any more comments about this are welcomed.

Satellite internet can deliver a broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Twitter: HySpeedBB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:00:04
Print Post

Re: does the wind effect your system? *DELETED*

While you are free to use the forums, posts that appear too spam like will get removed, avoiding the site becoming just yet another stalking ground for providers to jump into people.

Any dish affected by wind, has been poorly installed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 01:18:51
Print Post

Really it's all dependant on how you define everywhere. There no point arguing this, your definition is wrong!

Satellite does not have 100% coverage and is subject to planning and clear view of the sky (in the right direction) therefore you can not get Satellite broadband everywhere.

It is well know that satellite signals are affected buy the weather, especially heavy rain fall. Again you can not argue this it is fact. This is known a rain fade and relates to the signal reducing during heavy rain. However using the correct gain satellite dish for the region that is correctly aligned should mean service isn't disrupted.

However it is not just the satellite at the customers property that can be affected. Weather conditions at the up-link stations are just as important!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
  Print Thread

Jump to