General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gr4z
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 12:44:02
Print Post

Connecting to parents house 5km away?

[link to this post]

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have just moved into a house with 'up to 2 mbps' service. My parents, who live about 5km away, have 100mbps cable. Can I get a wireless signal to their house using something like one of these building-building wireless kits? They state up to 80mbps over 15km.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

Anyone tried one?
Thanks
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:03:46
Print Post

Re: Connecting to parents house 5km away?

[re: gr4z] [link to this post]

Wokfi?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gr4z
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:10:50
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Not sure I have the technical knowledge to build my own. Just wondered if these kits work for the consumer, i.e. on a house and not a 100m mast.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:25:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by gr4z:
Not sure I have the technical knowledge to build my own. Just wondered if these kits work for the consumer, i.e. on a house and not a 100m mast.

getting good line of sighed between them will be key so depending on the view your house has a mast may be required.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gr4z
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:48:48
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FRS_Plunderer:
In reply to a post by gr4z:

getting good line of sighed between them will be key so depending on the view your house has a mast may be required.

OK apart from the LOS and mast height are they easy to install? How do you line them up as by eye will not be possible? What height for the mast is suggested when the land is flat? I need to check about buildings and trees etc but if this thing needs a 10m mast, planning permission and neighbours are going to get in my way.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Oct-12 20:04:39
Print Post

Line of sight is the key, and some googling shows that for 30km you need a 17m high mast to get line of sight, so standard roof TV aerial pole if there is real line of sight should suffice.

As for aligning, careful use of compass and GPS Hence why there is the option of a install service with the kit too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Oct-12 20:35:45
Print Post

Can I suggest you look at Deliberant APC-5M-18-KIT. Range is quoted as up to 20km, and in my application up to 100Mbps was anticipated.

MikeW
Standard User gr4z
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:41:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@MrSaffron So I would guess a standard roof aerial at about 10m from the ground would suffice barring obstacles such as buildings or trees? I guess if they are in the way I need to go higher frown Thanks

@anonymous Any reason why you suggest a Deliberant APC-5M-18-KIT?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Oct-12 22:08:49
Print Post

Primarily cost - I identified these for a project last year and they come in much less than the alternative model mentioned.

MikeW
Standard User gr4z
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 22:10:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Great thanks. Sorry for the newb questions but I am really struggling to find much online about how to install these things. Happy to have a go myself and comfortable with networking etc. Just some tips and suggestions would be great as I am a little unsure about what I should be buying to bridge a 5km gap and then how to install it! Reading a few very simple and brief online reviews and they just say chuck it on top of the house and with trial and error get a signal. Much like installing a Sky TV dish.

So how do you install the antenna at source address? Does alignment have to be exact? etc etc.
Does anyone have anything?
Thanks

Edited by gr4z (Mon 22-Oct-12 22:13:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to