General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User beef1973
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 13:21:27
Print Post

online gaming using satellite/fixed wireless connection

[link to this post]

Hello,

could anyone tell me if using satellite or a fixed wireless connection is suitable for online gaming?

I was looking into ways to improve my connection either by getting satellite broadband or by using a plug in wireless network extender as I suffer lag often when playing online and also sometimes when watching rented movies from certain online retailers.

How do I make my connection better overall?

Thanks
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Thu 27-Dec-12 14:19:26
Print Post

Re: online gaming using satellite/fixed wireless connection

[re: beef1973] [link to this post]

Satellite is no good for online gaming like FPS, racing etc etc the ping times are too high

Fixed wireless can work ok depending on conditions/the ISP etc etc

I don't know what connection you have now but going for a satellite connection will not make an improvement for gaming
Standard User beef1973
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 19:55:07
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I thought as much.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 18:45:16
Print Post

Hi

You should never consider satellite unless that is the only service you can get.

Fixed wireless however should be good enough for gaming, latency (ping) can actually be less than ADSL so long as the Fixed Wireless service uses fibre to backhaul (and not bonded ADSL or Satellite).

What wireless service provider are you looking at using?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User beef1973
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 19:41:54
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Hi,
thanks for the reply......I was looking at Briskona for fixed wireless but I live in an area where fiber probably will never reach so I might have to forget this option.

Its really annoying that almost all other European countries seem to have better broadband than we do - so sometimes the lag factor makes online gaming almost impossible.

I was also looking at plug in network extenders, but these seem to get mixed results and I don`t know if this would help.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 20:19:53
Print Post

Hi

When I said Fibre I meant real fibre ... a fibre leased line (i.e. BT WEES or other leased line equivalent) these run at 100Mbps, 1000Gbps (1Gbit) or even 10Gbit+ and provide a high capacity backhaul to the internet (a location where you can get peering/transit etc). This is how a Fixed Wireless ISP would (should) get a high capacity connection for it's masts.

I did not mean what most people wrongly call fibre, i.e. a FTTC (BT Infinity) connection where it is just fibre to the cabinet then copper the last mile.

If you're in an area that is not going to get BT infinity (or similar) then Fixed Wireless is your best bet.

I'm guessing as you're looking at Briskona you are in Ireland, is that right?

Best thing to do is give them a call and ask what ping times are likely to be. They should ask you for your address so they can give a reasonable estimate (by looking at an existing customer nearby).

I was also looking at plug in network extenders, but these seem to get mixed results and I don`t know if this would help.

I'm confused, it seems like you are mixing things up. If you have a rubbish internet connection then a wireless extender will do nothing for you as it won't improve the connection itself.

Do you know what speed you currently get? If not you can test at speedtest.net best to do this with an Ethernet connection to your router (with a PC not a phone or iPad).

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
  Print Thread

Jump to