General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-13 23:22:34
Print Post

Just had Tooway 20mb Satellite installed

[link to this post]

Just had Tooway 20mb Satellite installed, and while web pages load as slow as my old 0.5mb BT line due to latency, downloads really do download at a full 20mb, and streaming video in HD 4k resolution is flawless, and the upload really does upload at 6mb too! Apart from the size of the dish, i couldnt be happier, just need a uk ip address assigning now instead of a italian one, but that is being sorted now smile any reviews of satellite BB should be noted from this year onwards, as any review on sat BB before this year are based on the old slow unreliable service with miniscule expensive download caps!
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-13 11:30:46
Print Post

Re: Just had Tooway 20mb Satellite installed

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

I used 2 one way sat providers in my time and I also think someone I worked for has a Tooway business line about 15 years ago. They had a small dish sat on the roof.

It's nice to hear that it's working for you. WIth a decent usage allowance it certainly is the way forward for places where Mobile coverage is scarce and landline services just aren't going to happen

There is a solar flare coming which is stated will knock out some satellites for about 20 mins so if you get an outage and things like GPS don't work then you will know not to call them.

News about it here - we should be okay but just wanted to mention this to you incase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21357909

Also nice to see they have unlimited overnight usage from 11pm-7am.. A proven service which Plusnet has run since the start.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 08-Feb-13 11:33:06)

Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Fri 08-Feb-13 12:49:22
Print Post

I've had Tooway (through Avonline) for a week now. I'm very pleased with it so far too. I use a regular (but slow) adsl connection for web surfing, and Tooway for shifting large files to and from clients. Obviously a fibre connection would be better, but that at least 10 months away yet.

Satellite has had a bad press in the past by the sound of it, but the new speeds and deals on offer should make it much more attractive.

Don't worry about sloar flares, it's the asteroid you want to watch out for! wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 08-Feb-13 13:07:12
Print Post

speedtest.net result?
(learned) Fri 08-Feb-13 13:41:49
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Speedtest.net seems to flip out when I use it with Tooway - possibly something to do with the high latency?
Here's one from Speedtestuk.net which seemed a bit more reliable
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 09-Feb-13 01:36:10
Print Post

http://speedtest.uk.net/result/250647/

This is my latest Speedtest, seems to be getting faster now, of which is good, but now using a new PC, and the web is quite zippy, much better than the old ADSL, even page loading is better now. Still got a issue with not having a UK IP address, but been told its a licencing issue with Skylogic s.p.a, but been told it should be resolved by next week. smile Be great to actually be able to use catchup TV and the Sky Antime+ service! Also had my 8 port LNB from the minidish installed onto the tooway dish, and have full signal strength and quality, much better than the minidish could do, so hopefully bad weather shouldnt kill Sky anymore!
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-13 08:19:32
Print Post

I don't know why, but most of the online adsl-based speed checkers seem to give wildly varied results with satellite broadband (if they work at all). We're both on a 20Mbps link so shouldn't be getting DL speeds in excess of 20Mbps unless Tooway are feeling generous!

The most accurate speed checker I have found is the Tooway's own service at http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com (you may need to install Flash to use it)

These are the figures I got this morning which are much closer to what I'd expect:
Last Result:
Average Download Speed: 16395 kbps (2049.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Average Upload Speed: 5547 kbps (693.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Average Latency (Round Trip Time): 898 ms
Jitter: 40 ms
Packet Loss: 0%

Someone just posted this speedchecker on the Forums too which seems to handle satellite ok:
http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ap...

Do you know what your modem's Rx SNR figure is? Mine varies between 12.5dB and 13.5dB depending on cloud cover.

Edited by chrigurndevon (Sat 09-Feb-13 08:33:49)

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:38:04
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

Hi can you give us a update on how your Too Way system is performing as I am looking in to getting a system,
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 24-Mar-13 01:08:18
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Still working flawlessly, 20mb down, 6mb up smile Only times it has failed is when the dish and tria gets covered in snow! Jug of water over the dish to wash the snow off, and it all works fine again. Even the Sky HD boxes are working fine still off the same dish smile Download at approx 2.5 megabytes a second!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 01:11:39
Print Post

And the latency, how is that?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to