General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User knighton
(regular) Wed 15-May-13 15:20:52
Print Post

Another Tooway/Avonline install

[link to this post]

So I am in a BDUK tagged area but the Council have yet to sign with BT and when they do it will be a year I guess before anything changes. 7km from the exchange, BT unable to offer any BB via copper at all. Pitiful 3G mobile BB via 3 and a rooftop antenna.

Ordered last Wednesday via Avonline. SuperXL or whatever package - pricey but thats my prerogative - unlimited D/L 24/7.

Guys arrived today (1 week later), and left 11/2 hours later.

D/L 21.07 Mbps.
Upload 5.43 Mbps

Latency 750ms - as expected - i don't do online gaming anyway.

Super efficient and I am chuffed.....

I can now see what this 'Youtube' thing is all about.

I can also update my music programmes and O/S (Mountain Lion).

Phil
Standard User ladlee
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 16:35:47
Print Post

Re: Another Tooway/Avonline install

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

Hi,
I just signed up, today in fact, to find more information about tooway/avonline.

I'm not much of a computer buff; what does 'Latency 750ms' mean?

& can you let me know what satellite bband is good & bad for please!!

I'll put you on my Christmas card list!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 15-May-13 18:48:57
Print Post

[re: ladlee] [link to this post]

750 ms is the time taken for a packet of data to traverse the internet and back.

With a good wired connection it is under 30 ms, the distances involved with geostationary satellites mean it will always be over half a second (500 ms) hence the "satellite delay" in telephone calls.

So satellite is good for non-interactive activities, or for activities where having the reaction time of a drunk don't matter. Having said that they fly drones over satellite links wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User knighton
(regular) Wed 15-May-13 18:54:43
Print Post

[re: ladlee] [link to this post]

Well I don't care about online gaming etc where the latency is essential i.e. if you shoot someone in a game it has to happen almost in real time. With 750ms latency, you press fire and 3/4 of a second later the action completes online - too slow for 'realtime' interaction.

Its good for quick download and upload especially if you live a long way from a phone exchange and can live with the cost (£65 per month) and slight delays loading pages. TBH, the latency is not that different from my previous 3g connection but with a download limit of 15Gb per month and the slow speed I just couldn't cope any more!
  Print Thread

Jump to