General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StevePalmerUK
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 12:57:50
Print Post

Tooway Sloooow sppeds

[link to this post]

HI All. I've had a Tooway installation for almost a year now and up until aobut six weeks ago, the downlaod speed was pretty good at 20 Mbit/sec.

However since aobut six weeks ago, the speed after a few hours drops off to a pathetic 1.x Mbit/sec. The only way to solve the problem was to reboot both the router and the modem - then the speed returned to a blistering 20...

.. for another couple of hours.

Then I had to repeat the process all over again. I'm in regular dialogue with their tech support team, who kindly replaced both the modem and the router, but it made no difference.

With their help, we've checked under the bonnet of both the router and the modem and there's nothing wrong with either. They've now said they really don't know what the problem is apart from a possible 'contention' issue.

I confess that I don't understand satellite broadband at all but thought that it didn't suffer from contention like copper wire connections do - have I got that right?

Is there anyone on here that might offer a suggestion to this general slowdown? I guess if it's simply that the service is a lot busier now (contention) than a year ago when I purchased it, II'm satisfied with that - but to drop from 20 to 1.x every couple of hours is a real pain!

Thanks everyone

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:05:20
Print Post

Re: Tooway Sloooow sppeds

[re: StevePalmerUK] [link to this post]

Satellite has limited capacity to the satellite and also potential for contention when it returns to the earth

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:10:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew - appreciate your insight into this. What I can't get my head round is that if I reboot the hardware, the high speed returns. If it was contention causing the problem, surely a hardware reboot wouldn't make any difference to the speed would it?

Thanks

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:48:36
Print Post

If your public ip addresses changes it might suggest that load balancing over a data link is why speeds improve. Ie by reconnecting you get put on the less busy link

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 13:58:33
Print Post

Re: Tooway Sloooow speed

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again Andrew. So, is there anything that might be done at either 'end' to avoid me having to reboot up to four times a day (just to get the high speed back)?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by StevePalmerUK (Fri 12-Jul-13 14:09:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 18:13:23
Print Post

Re: Tooway Sloooow speed

Unless providers says there is a fault then unlikely to change

Unless lots of people stop using the service that is

The bit we don't know if the current issues are just one provider or all the ka services

Print Thread

Jump to