General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ChrisWilson
(newbie) Sun 21-Jul-13 13:37:34
Print Post

Is Sat broadband likely to be fixed in the UK anytime soon?

[link to this post]

A well known reseller of Tooway satellite broadband wouldn't take an order off me last week citing ongoing issues with Tooway made them reluctant to take on further customers. I read into it that they had enough headaches without adding to their woes. Their honesty was refreshing and I will probably use them if the UK situation with satellite broadband improves. Is this situation, which appears to embrace all resellers, so must come from higher up the chain, likely to be resolved soon, or is the technology doomed frown

Thanks.

Best regards,
CW.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 21-Jul-13 13:57:55
Print Post

Re: Is Sat broadband likely to be fixed in the UK anytime so

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

From reading the numerous threads it looks like there is something occurring that Eutelsat who operate the system will need to fix.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 21-Jul-13 15:01:21
Print Post

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

is this one particular satellite ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 21-Jul-13 17:23:09
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Looking at the threads in this section there appears to be a lot of threads about speed issues with Tooway which is the Eutelsat service that is sold by a few resellers.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 21-Jul-13 17:25:04)

Standard User ToowayUK
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 16:54:40
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Hi there,
I thought it might be helpful to provide some more information on the Tooway Fair Usage Policy, which may relate to the speed issue raised. To maintain a quality service for all Tooway users it is necessary to sometimes regulate heavy bandwidth users at peak times, under a Fair Usage Policy, to ensure all customers continue to receive access to network capacity. As a result, we may reduce significantly the bandwidth available to the highest data users during peak hours (currently 4pm to 12am UTC weekdays and weekends). No traffic management is applied outside of peak hours.

The generic rules are as follows:

For S, M, L and XL Tooway packages; customers using more than 25% of their monthly data allowance during Peak Hours in any single week will be classified as a high data user and bandwidth will be temporarily restricted to regulate the service

For Absolute Tooway customers (unlimited package): an upper limit has been applied for Peak Hours, depending on the congestion levels in the network. Typically, the Fair Usage Policy will affect the top 10% of data users subscribing to this package, based on their monthly and/or weekly usage and currently equates to customers using over 60GB of data per month.

Network usage is monitored and customers who decrease their data usage or schedule intensive data downloads or exchange to off peak hours will have their regular bandwidth speeds reinstated.

We understand these measures are constraining for some users but they allow us to maintain affordable and sustainable broadband access for everyone.
  Print Thread

Jump to