General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ChrisWilson
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-13 14:27:08
Print Post

Can anyone recommend a UK satellite broadband provider?

[link to this post]

Everything seems pretty negative with UK satellite broadband at the moment. Is there anyone in the UK that is getting a totally satisfactory, stably contracted service they would recommend? Thanks.

Best regards,
CW.
Standard User fludge
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-13 16:26:36
Print Post

Re: Can anyone recommend a UK satellite broadband provider?

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

Avanti is worth a look but you need deep pockets.

I suspect we've spoken on another forum but for the benefit of this forum I will say that I am running both a Tooway absolute service AND the Avanti Hylas 5 down, 1 up service.

The Avanti service is on paper much slower but for normal web traffic its fine. I tend to get 5mb nearly the whole time.

The problem with Avanti though is the mad costs associated with the service. I suspect that s why I don't see the same problems with load at peak times that Tooway is now seeing...
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Fri 26-Jul-13 17:25:41
Print Post

[re: ChrisWilson] [link to this post]

As the other guy said I'd suggest trying an Avanti service.

Tooway seem to have capacity issues and throttling on their residential services. Don't know if they have reached the capacity limit of their UK spot beams, but home users (as opposed to businesses) tend to milk bandwidth and want to pay peanuts, so with Tooway being so big, I'm not surprised they struggle.

Avanti also have their earth station in the UK so you get slightly lower pings to UK sites.

I work in the sat industry, but we don't sell services to residential customers.

Europasat provide services from a variety of satellites, including Avanti/HYLAS1, and Tooway/Eutelsat. Good to compare.
http://www.europasat.com/avanti/

Hylas 2 does have two spot beams on the UK and is a more modern satellite, but I don't know of anyone that will do residential services on it.

Ethnet are a small and quite friendly provider working with Avanti on Hylas 1, and offer some reasonable prices and have good support. They are able to offer up to 15mbit. They tend to be quite nice about you hitting your usage limit too.
http://ethnetuk.com/satellite-broadband/domestic/

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 26-Jul-13 17:28:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NickBlackthorn
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 19:23:57
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

I have tooway and have just been hit by their throttling. Just so you are aware how it works I thought I'd share my experience. I have paid for a 20Gb per month + unlimited nighttime service. Compared to what I used to have it is good... but...it works really well until you use half of your allocated data (in my case 10 GB)... then you fall foul of their fair usage policy (even though you have used only half of what you have paid for)... now you get poor speeds (often less than 1mps in the evenings).... untill your next month starts.
They think this is fair... I don't but my view is if you want a usable 10Gb pay for 20GB....

If you can make do then this is better than nothing but be aware that if you pay for 20GB it may not always be at anything approaching their advertised speeds....:(.
  Print Thread

Jump to