General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davidc1983
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 04:09:28
Print Post

Virgin Superhub and Huawei hg533

[link to this post]

Please help this now driving me insane LOL

I am a Virgin Media customer with Virgin Superhub connected directly to Coaxal cable from here I have a Huawei HG533 connected to attempt to extend the range of the network as the superhub is not that good within my property plus I can use the HG533 to share a usb drive.

I cannot get them configured correctly to working with each other I have been configuring them for 4 days straight now with no success they are connected directly with cat6 RJ45 using the fiber port on HG533 when resetting both routers I am able to share the internet no problem but I cannot share my home network as they are on different subnetts

Superhub 1 192.168.0.1
pc 192.168.0.2
HG533 192.168.1.1
laptop 192.168.1.2

I have disabled DHCP on HG533 and if I assign a static address i lose all connections to laptop having to reset hg533 when it is working pc can ping 0.1 0.2 but not 1.1 or 1.2

but

laptop

can ping 0.1 0.2 and 1.1 but not 1.2

I have tried every setup i can think of to get this to work and I am having no success even tried port forwarding and DMZ but again no success

please any help embarrassed to ask lol as I am a CCNA engineer LOL

I know what i want to do but not how

thanks
Standard User raven1968
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 05:02:24
Print Post

Re: Virgin Superhub and Huawei hg533

[re: davidc1983] [link to this post]

Hi

I'm not 100% up on the hg533 - is that a talktalk router?

However looking at what you are trying to do it looks as if you are trying to configure the hg533 as an access point.

First off give it a static address using the same IP range as the Superhub. I use 192.168.0.254. This makes for easier configuration of the hg533 once all is up and running.

Turn off dhcp on the hg533.

If it gives you the ability to set gateway and dns set both of these to 192.168.0.1, however iIIRC it shouldn't be necessary.

Attach one of the LAN ports of the Superhub to one of the LAN ports of the hg533 NOT the Fibre port.

In this configuration the hg533 is actually working as an access point rather than a router so all communications are taking place over Layer 2 with the hg533 being invisible unless you specifically connect to it's IP address to reconfigure it.

Alternatively you could try putting the Superhub into modem only mode and attaching the hg533 in normal mode to port 1 once you've done this.

Remember to power down the Superhub and and hg533 once youve changed mode and connected everything up.

Ravenstar68
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Aug-13 08:48:30
Print Post

Re: Virgin Superhub and Huawei hg533

[re: raven1968] [link to this post]

Not the exact kit combination but the theory is the same to use a device as a wireless access point
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User davidc1983
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 00:25:04
Print Post

Re: Virgin Superhub and Huawei hg533 *DELETED*

[re: raven1968] [link to this post]

Post deleted by davidc1983
Standard User davidc1983
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 00:33:59
Print Post

Thats great Raven seems to be working think I was just chancing my luck with the Fiber port also noticed a friends device was connecting to the HG533 causing conflict once removed got it up and working

Again thanks
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Aug-13 20:45:47
Print Post

Post deleted by Ignitionnet
  Print Thread

Jump to