General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-13 11:48:30
Print Post

Cotswold Wireless 4G

[link to this post]

I am thinking of signing up to this 4G tariff. Is anyone on it that is able to give an honest review.
I just spoke to their support and told them that i use about 80Gb a month. I thought i used an average of 90Gb, but i just checked the bt website and its 80Gb. Anyway, they said i come in between their standard & advanced tariff's which cost £25 & £30 a month.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 00:56:33
Print Post

Re: Cotswold Wireless 4G

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

Is it their own network or are they reselling EE?

Didn't know anyone other than the mobile network operators and UK Broadband had licenses for 4G LTE. Is it really 4G or just fixed wireless?

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 02:11:33
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

They're probably reselling UK Broadband's service in Swindon.

Along with the four mobile networks (EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three), all of whom won some spectrum in the recent 4G auction and all of whom hold other spectrum that they can repurpose to 4G should they choose, two further companies have 4G licenses. There's "Niche Spectrum Ventures" (a BT Group company) who won paired and unpaired 2.6GHz allocations in the 4G mobile auction, who I understood were going to use their spectrum to offer data services, also there's UK Broadband, who hold a huge chunk of spectrum in the 3.5-3.7GHz region.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Tue 08-Oct-13 09:46:05
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I'm unsure if I'll be tying my hands behind my back & will be unable to use the service due to going over their limits during business hours. The kids love YouTube & the mrs also like to download a bit if catchup tv, but the don't really like planning to use it like a schedule. I guess the only way around this would be to pay for the premium tariff at just under £50 a month. I was kinda hoping to be paying around the £30 mark.

Additionally I love being able to back up all my hd videos on google plus. This'll also take me over the 350mb an hour limit. Is it worth having faster speeds and not being able to use it, or staying on 4Mb.

I guess it depends on how strict they are. It's a shame they do not offer a 14 day money back guarantee. Another reseller uknow does, but I will not be able to use their service as they don't provide an external aerial which I would require.

"As might be expected, we are most concerned about usage during the busiest period on our network and as a guide we might expect normal usage during that busy period to be below the following.

Package Busy Period Usage
LTE Lite 50MB per/hour
LTE Standard 150MB per/hour
LTE Advanced 350MB per/hour
LTE Premium 1000MB per/hour

These are NOT intended to be hard limits but if a user were to regularly exceed limits such as these then we may have to take appropriate action as defined above and within our AUP (Acceptable Use Policy). On the other hand if such usage were to be exceeded, even regularly, during network quiet periods we wouldnt expect to have to take any further action. The concept is for fairness to our customers and not to be unnecessarily punitive. An example of a network quiet time would be either very late at night or before 8am. Conversely, below is our expectation of usage for times outside our network busy periods."

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:01:24
Print Post

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mitchy_mitch:
It's a shame they do not offer a 14 day money back guarantee. Another reseller uknow does, but I will not be able to use their service as they don't provide an external aerial which I would require.
My understanding is that uknow are UK Broadband's in-house ISP. As such, I'd expect them to have access to all the equipment options available. Maybe the issue is that they are unable to give a money-back guarantee on an external option because of the installation costs involved.

It may be worth talking to uknow to see if you can do some sort of deal. Would the service work temporarily at your location without an external antenna? If so, you may be able to do a deal to have a trial period with a money-back guarantee using temporary equipment, with a proper outdoor antenna installation to follow if you decide to keep the service.

Unfortunately, the limited and shared resources of certain systems mean there have to be limits imposed on the users to ensure quality of service. You only need read the complaints about Virgin Media cable in some areas and the recent performance of Tooway satellite to see the difficulties caused when too many users are fighting for the limited bandwidth available.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 11:18:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Didn't know anyone other than the mobile network operators and UK Broadband had licenses for 4G LTE. Is it really 4G or just fixed wireless?

Is there a restriction on using LTE on 5.8 GHz unlicensed spectrum ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 11:47:41
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Don't think so but I've never heard of LTE kit that supports 5.8Ghz ... probably because 5.8Ghz would be useless for mobile.

LTE is only just catching up with what fixed wireless can do and has been doing for 3+ years.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 14:37:38
Print Post

Huawei Distributed eNode B (DBS3900) can support multiple frequency bands from 700Mhz
to 5.8GHz. Especially, Huawei is the only vendor to offer 5.8GHz LTE solution.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 16:17:00
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Nice but I bet it is damn expensive compared to Ubiquiti AirMax which manages speeds that LTE is only just starting to reach now.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 22:10:57
Print Post

maybe, but at least it's a standard.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to