General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyGr
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 08:56:00
Print Post

Satellite suggestion

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on satellite broadband. I've just about reached the end of my patience with the slow/no broadband over my landline so I hope to ditch BT and my landline completely and use that saving towards the cost of satellite. (see my thread here for details of current issues.

I have one absolute requirement, and a few others that would be nice but I don't really expect to get all of them.

1) Service supplier must operate in Scotland, in North Perthshire (postcode area PH18).

2) I currently get TV through an old Sky dish using a Freesat+ box and an old Sky box (free to air programming). If possible I would like to replace this dish with the broadband dish so that I only have one eyesore on the house.

3) Because the house is up for sale (but unlikely to sell before next spring, and quite possibly later) I'd prefer to have a system that either has no upfront costs (possibly renting the equipment) or as low as possible. It's very likely that when I do eventually move it will be to an area with many more options for broadband.

4) Again because of the impending move I'd like a service that either has no contract, allows the contract to be terminated early, or is as short as possible.

5) Because my current speed is under 0.5 Mbps, and often lower still, I can live with both the inherent signal delay and download/upload speeds that many people would not be happy with, and I probably don't need a huge transfer limit (currently 10GB, which I never go over, although I might well use more on a faster connection).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Edited by AndyGr (Tue 12-Nov-13 09:00:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:18:57
Print Post

Re: Satellite suggestion

[re: AndyGr] [link to this post]

There is http://www.apogeeinternet.co.uk/ that appear to tick 1 and 2

Or another SES reseller.

3 & 4 make things more difficult as the hardware adds to the cost, not so much the dish, but the transponder and modem so if its short term the costs are usually higher, or you end up buying out of the contract once you move.

10GB works out at £47.99 on their package. Which is possibly why SES is seeing less moans on congestion that TooWay based stuff.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyGr
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:45:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, I'll certainly investigate Apogee a bit more, although I'm a bit concerned if the poor quality of their website (try looking at any of the FAQ questions) might reflect on the company as a whole.

And do you have any idea what they mean by Freezone - I can't find any explanation for it (although it may be somewhere in the unreachable FAQs).

EDIT: Ah, from what some of the other resellers say it looks like it's unlimited downloads in the early hours of the morning.

I'll also have a look at SES resellers.

Edited by AndyGr (Tue 12-Nov-13 11:07:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyGr
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 19:28:16
Print Post

I've come across Hybeam in my research, their prices seem pretty good but I can't find many reviews about them, does anyone on here have any knowledge of them?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Nov-13 17:28:37
Print Post

I know their accounts are overdue and there's some unfavourable reviews here http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/forum/4334

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Dec-13 13:50:21
Print Post

I don't think you'll find (2) is possible if you also want to keep satelite TV. I believe the satelite for TV is at a different position in the sky to the one for broadband and therefore you would need to dishes, one pointing to each sat as appropriate.
Standard User Smudger444
(newbie) Mon 24-Mar-14 11:54:53
Print Post

http://www.europasat.com/product-chooser/

Dear Andy G. Have you had a look at the above, ive been with the Tooway group for over a year, and yes there is a congestion problem, mostly due to the Fare Management, which is more like interference, you know, pay for an unlimited service yet cant use it.
But as people change to the new rollout of fibre and leave the Satellite service it will improve. It is an expencive broadband, but if you cant get anything else, what can you do?

I live 6 miles from a major south east town, yet the best Bt could offer was ADSL at 0.48mbs, which is unworkable this day and age, so I left Bt, joined TalkTalk and get ADSL+2 at 1.4mbs, this is my stand by should the satellite fail, with phone use too. Its so well priced its not worth loosing. So to get a better speed the only option was Satellite at 20mbs out of hours, which relates to 6mbs at peak times.

For Tv we use FreeSat this works fine using old Sky dish connections.
If I can be of any further help feel free to contact me. Do you have next door neighbours?
  Print Thread

Jump to