General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ceg1805
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 13:23:08
Print Post

Request for assistance with satellite broadband connection

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Firstly I am new to the forum and its got some really useful information on it so thank you to all who have contributed. I have just recently had an Avonline 20mb satellite broadband connection added to my parents house. My father now works from home and owing to them being in the middle of nowhere needs broadband which is reliable and (relatively) fast.

Previously they were getting 0.2mb down the phone line which was prone to drop outs/crackling line etc.

I wanted to ask if anyone has used satellite broadband and finds that it has frequent time outs? I realise there is a greater latency etc using the system. Is it possible to adjust any settings on the router/browser to compensate for the time outs? With my limited knowledge I was wondering if it is necessary to adjust anything to make the computer 'wait' for longer for responses?

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous !

Thanks,

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 13:26:33
Print Post

Re: Request for assistance with satellite broadband connecti

[re: ceg1805] [link to this post]

Time outs in what sort of apps?

Standard HTTP should have no issues, and even interactive websites should happily wait 30 seconds, and satellite only adds 1 second of latency.

Some satellite providers have a proxy arrangement built into their CPE or on their network to try and help, so check whether avonline utilise those or whether just a raw connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to