General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User london1004
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 16:33:06
Print Post

Issues transferring from Sky to BT

[link to this post]

Hello everyone - I wonder if any of you can kindly advise...

I transferred broadband & telephone from Sky to BT back in January.

I requested for a new phone number from BT and BT advised they will handle everything and that I do not need to contact Sky about the transfer.

link on BT's website saying I don't need to contact sky
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Only until recently I realised that Sky had still been charging me - amount going out via DD amongst many of my other bills.

I confronted Sky about it only to find out Sky never got notification from BT i.e. there was no notification from the Exchange that BT was claiming the line.

I then confronted BT, initially they said it was Sky's fault because they should know as there's only one line going through. I went back to Sky - Sky disagreed and said there should have been a notification. "Coincidentally" the day I confronted BT about it, Sky had received this notification from the exchange and consequently sent me a "goodbye letter".

I complained again to BT that they made the claim on the line only when I called about it recently, they still said it's not their fault because because I asked for a new phone number which implies that it wasn't a "transfer order" therefore the notification wouldn't have gone through.

I'm claiming full refund of what Sky charged me from BT because, as far as I see it, BT should have (done their jobs properly) claimed the line from Sky when I initially made the order back in January and consequently I would not have paid Sky until now.

I wonder if any of you have experienced this and perhaps give me some advice on this?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jul-14 17:41:35
Print Post

Re: Issues transferring from Sky to BT

[re: london1004] [link to this post]

While it is possible to move the service without contacting an old provider in some cases, there is the small matter of giving the legal notice as per your contract with the old provider.

Where a MAC is used, generally it is easy enough as people are in touch with the provider, and while there is a mechanism to inform a losing provider when the phone line moves this may not always work, and the change of line number is MOST LIKELY why that mechanism broke.

Ideally you would have contacted Sky at the time to confirm you were moving your services elsewhere and giving the notice period on the contract (often 30 days).

In terms of fault, several things have compounded, but if you were under advice that no need to contact Sky (remember BT have no idea if you still had a minimum contract term outstanding with Sky) then BT could be considered at fault. Standard advice around here is to ensure you have had the final bill from any old provider and chase within a month if this does not appear to avoid these problems.

Down to negotiation with BT and Sky now to sort out the over payments really, if you had contract left to run with Sky there can charge it though, hence why it is a contract.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Sep-14 16:59:49
Print Post

Re: Issues transferring from Sky to BT

[re: london1004] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by london1004:
Hello everyone - I wonder if any of you can kindly advise...

I transferred broadband & telephone from Sky to BT back in January.

I requested for a new phone number from BT and BT advised they will handle everything and that I do not need to contact Sky about the transfer.

link on BT's website saying I don't need to contact sky
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Only until recently I realised that Sky had still been charging me - amount going out via DD amongst many of my other bills.

I confronted Sky about it only to find out Sky never got notification from BT i.e. there was no notification from the Exchange that BT was claiming the line.

I then confronted BT, initially they said it was Sky's fault because they should know as there's only one line going through. I went back to Sky - Sky disagreed and said there should have been a notification. "Coincidentally" the day I confronted BT about it, Sky had received this notification from the exchange and consequently sent me a "goodbye letter".

I complained again to BT that they made the claim on the line only when I called about it recently, they still said it's not their fault because because I asked for a new phone number which implies that it wasn't a "transfer order" therefore the notification wouldn't have gone through.

I'm claiming full refund of what Sky charged me from BT because, as far as I see it, BT should have (done their jobs properly) claimed the line from Sky when I initially made the order back in January and consequently I would not have paid Sky until now.

I wonder if any of you have experienced this and perhaps give me some advice on this?

Many thanks

Under the DD guarantee you get all your money back from your bank no questions asked. Just phone your bank and do a direct debit indemnity. Some banks can be funny but just quote the direct debit guarantee to them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to