General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User _matt_b_
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 18:13:24
Print Post

Are there any satisfied Tooway customers?

[link to this post]

I am about to move into a property that is 5 miles from the FTTC cabinet and the maximum speed being offered by BT-based broadband providers is 0.5Mbps, there is no Virgin media or Wimax etc.

As a result I have been looking into satellite broadband providers and specifically Tooway, however all of the recent reviews are very poor and mention terrible up/down speeds. Is this because only the unhappy people write reviews or is this generally indicative of the poor service?

My current usage (Plusnet unlimited ADSL2+) is approx 80GB per month, which mostly comprises web browsing and VoD services like Netflix and iplayer. Are there any satisfied customers out there..?
Standard User Growltiger
(regular) Mon 26-Oct-15 08:59:02
Print Post

Re: Are there any satisfied Tooway customers?

[re: _matt_b_] [link to this post]

Yes, I am pleased I bought a Tooway system. I have a 20GB allowance, a deal I think they no longer offer but I can stick with. I installed it myself, which saved some money.

Like you I am miles from the cabinet, with a 0.5Mbps service from BT. Sometimes I get 0.75 which is much better! I expect you know how to optimise the house wiring etc. (splitter on the face of the main socket). You may find the service is better than you expect, once you get there.

Tooway don't tell you that you need a cable router if you have more than one device, so you need to buy that.

The Tooway speeds are poor in the evening. But they are really good after 1am, and what is very important is that in the night (after 11pm) I have unlimited use, it doesn't count towards the allowance. (Check your contract carefully including FAP, and watch whether times specified are local or UTC, some are one, some are the other.)

So I do the following:
- I use a program that stores all downloads I want and runs them starting at 1am.
- Any Sky box downloads I set up after 11pm, when I go to bed.
- My Win 10 PCs are set to only do updates when I let them, so the big monthly updates get started after 11pm.

With web browsing the main issue is latency. FTP is terrible if you have thousands of files to move - the protocol doesn't work well with high latency.

Let us know how you get on with it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-15 11:10:39
Print Post

[re: Growltiger] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/1445432438367329455

A good satellite test, the effect of latency is nicely shown by the graph with data for download taking around 3 seconds to start showing up. The latency figure shows the behaviour of small packets is better.

When it goes bad
http://tbb.st/1443978478157178655
Same connection we believe on a different day
http://tbb.st/1444252651418680855

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User knighton
(regular) Mon 26-Oct-15 12:09:10
Print Post

I am 7km from the only cabinet on my exchange. I have used Tooway on their XXL package (20/6) for 2 1/2 years. Its £75 /month with 50Gb download limit but unlimited after midnight until (I think) 6am.

No problem with scheduled downloads overnight.

Daytime use (when I need it) is very flaky with a max 6mbps down to no connection at all.

The weather is a significant factor (which rarely stops my Freesat) so heavy rain/snow/wind disrupts the service.

Providing we remember the 1 second latency, I can Skype my daughter in the USA.

I would also say that it is true that the first month was flawless with constant downloads/uploads as advertised - it changed after that point.

If you have no hope of a better solution then go for it but remember its pricey, frequently unreliable, cannot be made to go faster and the download limits are risible in comparison to what you get for half the price on FTTC.
Standard User Growltiger
(regular) Mon 26-Oct-15 13:15:11
Print Post

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

I'm surprised about your reliability isses. I have seen three types of connection problems.

1. Network issues. Very rare. They have lost internet connectivity at the control centre.

2. DNS issues. They have lost DNS at the control centre. This is far more common. These DNS issues I have solved forever by switching to Google's public DNS service. Simply change your network connector IP4 setting for DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

3. Loss of connection to satellite. Very rare, I have only had this twice in the last year, and only for a few minutes. I am in Gloucestershire - are you somewhere at the fringes perhaps? More likely is that you have not got perfect alignment of your dish. This is one reason I installed it myself, I wanted to take the time to get perfect alignment. I read the documents carefully and then followed the fairly complicated instructions. The two stages of audible feedback built in are well designed to allow accurate aiming, and the mechanical devices to allow the fine adjustments are also well designed. (It puts a Sky dish to shame!)
Look at your ViaSat modem status to compare. For example my Rx SNR at this moment is 12.8 and my cable resistance is 0.5 Ohm.

I pay £35 per month for 20GB and have unlimited usage from 11pm to 7am local time. FAP applies from 4pm to 10pm UTC - no more than 5GB in 7 consecutive days.
Standard User knighton
(regular) Mon 26-Oct-15 15:24:25
Print Post

[re: Growltiger] [link to this post]

Yep, I already use the Google DNS service.

I do check the ViaSat modem status (all too regularly)! My figures are very similar to yours.

I am in the West Midlands and I think if there is a specific problem it may be that I am close to the border between 2 satellite 'spots' and therefore potentially on the edge of a coverage area.

I have been through it all with Tooway in the past but (as you may have discovered yourself) the tech support is friendly but limited.

Still its better than the nothing available to me over copper.

For a new purchaser however, if the experience is somewhere between yours and mine it should be tolerable.
Standard User 123brian
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-15 16:22:05
Print Post

Re: Are there any satisfied Tooway customers? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User Growltiger
(regular) Tue 27-Oct-15 17:16:44
Print Post

[re: 123brian] [link to this post]

I don't know where the 2Mb figure you quote comes from. In the night I easily get 10Mb.

The slowness in the evening is caused by contention for the limited satellite bandwidth. This is why the FAP is written the way it is. I'm sure they will have a good connection to the internet from Turin.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Oct-15 19:03:03
Print Post

Re: Are there any satisfied Tooway customers? *DELETED*

[re: 123brian] [link to this post]

The previous post was deleted because the referral touting breaks the site rules and that means the whole post has to go.

If the poster wants their comments on Satellite broadband to reappear they are free to repost just avoid the referral stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rorrocks
(newbie) Wed 28-Oct-15 10:54:18
Print Post

One way to reduce page load times with satellite broadband is to use adblockers and DoNotTrack software because the less each page needs to download then the quicker it will be. It improves security and privacy as well, and reduces the visual clutter on web pages.

What kind of signal strength do you Tooway users normally get ? I'm using the SES service and rarely get more than 7.5dB which leaves very little margin for coping with wet weather.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to