General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 20:27:12
Print Post

Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[link to this post]

So my village is fed up on waiting for bt to improve our speed. We are thinking about forming a community partnership with openreach/bt. Anyways my fibre enabled cabinet is about 5km away but luckily we own some of the land and we know the other farmers that do so getting permission to mole plow etc shouldn't be a problem, on that not would it be cheaper to mole plow or fix the fibre to the existing poles? (not sure if this is even an option). I've been looking online for what other community's have done and i saw that FTTdp/G.fast probably looks like out best bet, does anyone know how well it performs, and what packages are available for it, can you order normal infinity 2? Does the speed vs distance work pretty much the same as fttc? If we we're to install a Dp at the top of the village it would have to travel about 400m to my house via copper and the longest it would have to travel is about 700m what speeds should/could i expect at that distance. Also does anyone know the rough cost, if we we're to mole plow and lay the fibre ourselves that would surely save alot of money right. Does anyone know how much the fibre cable/ducting would cost for about 5km. Thanks for reading hopefully people have some answers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Nov-15 20:43:27
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

FTTdp/G.fast is still in trials and no community led roll-outs have happened.

Are you perhaps referring to native FTTP (Fibre to the Home)?
Or more likely VDSL2 from a new cabinet inserted in a location that can serve properties.

At 700m if using VDSL2 you can expect as shown at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... 32Mbps and likely more as the table is a pessimistic view.

As for how much, depends on how ducting is already in place, how much is silted up, whether roadworks needed when working etc. Cabinets start at around £25,000 for community funding but can go a lot higher.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 20:48:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh i never knew they were still in trials. If we were to install FTTP could people still order FTTC packages like infinity 2? I think FTTP would probably be alot cheaper than FTTC if it costs £25,000 for a cabinet! What about FTTrn? or is that the same as FTTdp. Also how much would it cost just for 5km Fibre/ducting, just a rough estimate on the price would be fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Nov-15 20:55:39
Print Post

Which would be cheaper depends very much on the area, remember for FTTP the fibre has to get to a central point, and then radiate out to every premise. Invariably FTTC is cheaper, but equation does vary.

FTTP has a limited set of providers selling it, i.e. no Sky or TalkTalk, but Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 are still available, plus extra 3 and 4 with higher speeds.

FTTrN is basically a new VDSL2 cabinet in a location suitable for your cluster of properties usually with a smaller cabinet.

5km of brand new ducting and fibre tubing with blowing at £75/m is 5000 * £75 or £375,000. Mid range figure as some say £50/m others £150/m to install ducting and all the other bits needed, e.g. chambers along the way, blow and splice fibre. Usually there is pre-existing ducting which reduces costs dramatically. If able to do this across your own land and agree to a way leave for future maintenance then costs for a soft dig would be a lot less and you could do a lot of this yourselves as a community

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 21:08:52
Print Post

Thanks for the reply, yeah we could dig all of the ducting in ourselves, if you look ay my village from an Ariel view the village is like a stright line, the left side is all fields/gardens and the right side is the houses/roads, we could easily dig a trench to each house and then mole plough to the cabinet. We would have to pass through 1 road on the way to the cabinet. £375,000? i was talking to someone on a different forum and he said fibre was as cheap as toilet roll per meter lol. So would Fttrn probbaly be cheaper than FTTC? and would it deliver the same speed/distance as FTTC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Nov-15 21:17:16
Print Post

The fibre itself is cheap, its the tubing and ducting that it goes in that costs the money, or more correctly digging the trench to put it in.

Easy way ask a local builder how much to dig an 18 inch deep, 9 inch deep wide trench for 500m and lay 75mm PVC pipe and then fill it back in and make good. Two prices, one in soft ground and then prepare for the price if its down a pavement.

FTTrN IS FTTC, but a slightly cheaper cabinet, still needs the same power and fibre requirements. It would still be VDSL2 coming down the copper wires so same speeds

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 21:25:40
Print Post

Yeah well like i said if we were to dig and lay all the ducting ourselves that would save a hell of alot of money right, one company http://www.tstrenching.co.uk/ use mole plow to dig and lay the ducting, they clam to of done 5km in as little as 3 days. Also if we we're do come in from the left side(behind the village) we would only need to dig about 15meters with shovels through peoples gardens, the only time we would have to go through any solid ground would be over 1 road.

So FTTrn would probably be a better bet than FTTC. Also i know this is a bit beyond the point but if we were to get FTTP installed could people still buy FTTC packages like infinity 1/2 as some people wouldn't want to pay the price for infinity 3/4. I'm going to get out local counciler that is in charge of broadband to get in touch with openreach and see if we can get something sorted.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Nov-15 23:05:36
Print Post

FTTrN IS FTTC just a different sized VDSL2 Cabinet

Open reach FTTP is available at speeds of 40 Meg, 80, 200 Meg and 300 Meg with the lowest two speeds matching price also of the 40 and 80 Meg VDSL2 packages.

If able to arrange the digging yourself it reduces cost a lot, but way leave e.g. access to fix a severed fibre needs to be considered

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-15 08:35:17
Print Post

All this talk of digging and duct, don't forget whoever does it in the end, install draw ropes too wink

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:05:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hopefully if everything went perfectly there would be a handbook and delivery of Openreach spec ducting and drum of draw rope for that purpose.

http://www.ravenstonedale.org/features/fellendbroadb... is the example they will be looking to emulate if partnering with Openreach, rather than others like Gigaclear or going it alone.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to