General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Snake
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-15 16:07:13
Print Post

Leased line to my house IG3 area

[link to this post]

I was wondering, is it possible to get a leased line installed to my house? if so what sort of costs am I looking at to get a 100MB line.

Snake smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Nov-15 16:17:59
Print Post

Re: Leased line to my house IG3 area

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Hit the 'get a quote' link on here ....

An awful lot of money I'd guess.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Nov-15 17:43:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Snake:
I was wondering, is it possible to get a leased line installed to my house? if so what sort of costs am I looking at to get a 100MB line.

You could get am *INSTANT* quote via A&A - choice of BT or Talk Talk tails where available:

http://aa.net.uk/ethernet-quote1.html

Edited by therioman (Fri 06-Nov-15 17:44:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Snake
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-15 22:18:49
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Thanks,

I checked A&A.

Basically it comes down to around 3/4k for installation and anything from £400-£2000 depending on speed.

I don't the upfront costs, but I wasn't expecting the monthly costs for 100mb/100mb to be that expensive. frown

Snake smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Nov-15 13:37:20
Print Post

It will be expensive if you want guaranteed 100 Mbps access rather than a contended service

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User keith969
(member) Sat 07-Nov-15 14:28:37
Print Post

Leased lines aren't cheap. Back in about 2002 I had on installed by Pipex - it was just 256Kb/s in those days, and if IIRC it cost about £9000 a year.

Question is why do you need one? Can you not get FTTx?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-15 14:44:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Snake:
I don't the upfront costs, but I wasn't expecting the monthly costs for 100mb/100mb to be that expensive. frown

I know, I've also been wondering lately about the cost for getting Fibre, paying up to £10k (depending on distance required) for this I can tolerate but I can't then tolerate the stupid costs involved monthly.

If I ever make these plans a reality I'm thinking of contacting Openreach or BT Business and seeing if they would be willing to quote me for the cost of putting in the infrastructure for there native FTTP (Not On Demand Silliness) and then subscribing to BT's normal Infinity 4 service.

However I have very small hope any such thing will happen and hope will be held for FTTPoD2 !
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 15:36:18
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

This is exactly why i was thinking a leased line. If I could get something which would have a 1 year contract, I would then have the infrastructure more or less in place for someone to provide me with FTTP.

I currently have FTTC hitting around 60mb(down)/18mb(up) - I am happy to pay the installation costs - just want something more sensible in terms of monthly cost. I don't mind it being contended to some extent 5:1 or 10:1 - I am sure the current FTTC service is higher in terms of contention.

I was hoping Hyperoptic would offer something.

Snake smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-15 15:55:12
Print Post

I think going to private firms such as Hyperopic is the best thing possible.... I don't think Openreach will do anything "realistic" unless they're obligated too.

In our case (having FTTC with 60/18) we're probably better off waiting to see what FTTPoD2 brings.... I know that the installation costs of FTTPoD for me where quite good, considering I'm around 220 metres from NGA by direct pathway route..

My copper paid runs opposite direction and looks to be around 4-500 metres instead.

After looking at my stats earlier, it looks like my connection is starting to get close to losing more bandwidth... I've already lost 4Mb/s on downstream in last 2-3 months and looking earlier I noticed the max obtainable upstream has now gone from 25Mb/s to 21Mb/s in the space of a month....

and the SNR of 9db has now dropped to 6.8db so a few more users and I'll be losing sync on the upstream too!
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 15:57:27
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I havent called Hyperoptic but I should try smile ill let you know what they say.

i've given up on FTTPoD and FTTPoD2.

You would think they would do trials in London and most of the infrastructure is in place. i.e the ducting/poles etc...

Snake smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to