General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 08:49:07
Print Post

Re: Leased line to my house IG3 area

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Snake:
Thanks,

I checked A&A.

Basically it comes down to around 3/4k for installation and anything from £400-£2000 depending on speed.

I don't the upfront costs, but I wasn't expecting the monthly costs for 100mb/100mb to be that expensive. frown

Indeed - if they weren't expensive we'd all have them smile

That said, I increasingly find that "leased lines" in whatever guise they're presented are expensive and offer decreasing benefits - especially when you consider they don't include any resilience as standard generally.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 08:51:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Snake:
This is exactly why i was thinking a leased line. If I could get something which would have a 1 year contract, I would then have the infrastructure more or less in place for someone to provide me with FTTP.

Alas you won't. The service your leased line will be provided over is not the same as the one FTTP is offered over, so in that respect you'd be no further forward.

I currently have FTTC hitting around 60mb(down)/18mb(up) - I am happy to pay the installation costs - just want something more sensible in terms of monthly cost. I don't mind it being contended to some extent 5:1 or 10:1 - I am sure the current FTTC service is higher in terms of contention.

A&A Offer a FTTC "Leased Line" type of thign (Ethernet over FTTC) - about £150/month, £500 setup IIRC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Nov-15 09:38:37
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Things like managed hardware, four hour fix times and other SLA benefits, along with the bandwidth guarantees drive up pricing, particularly as symmetric.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gah789
(regular) Mon 09-Nov-15 11:14:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Almost all leased line suppliers will write off the cost of the equipment at each end of the line over the length of the contract, which is usually a minimum of 2 years and may be 3 years. Since the equipment may be Cisco or Juniper (for performance and reliability) that may be £1,000+ per year. On top of that they have to budget for transit from the aggregation node to a point of presence + transit and/or peering onwards. That is likely to cost at least £200-250 per month for a 100 Mbps committed capacity unless you are in a very cheap market. And so on.

All of these costs are incurred by ISPs for their backhaul but because they can pool them over many customers sharing capacity the average cost per customer can be brought down to a reasonable level. Exclusive access to committed capacity is always going to be much more expensive than reliance on shared infrastructure.
Standard User Snake
(committed) Wed 11-Nov-15 09:55:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

So I emailed Hyperoptic, I got a call from the next day, basically they said they can do the install, however the cost per month would be around £400~. Only because it would be effectively a leased line, they cannot provide a contended service to on premise frown

At least they replied quickly and gave me a straight answer smile

Snake smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-15 10:29:13
Print Post

Anymore information on FTTPoD2 and how likely do you think it will be more affordable?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-15 10:32:05
Print Post

Told ya wink

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-15 15:05:14
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

At this time no, waiting on open reach price lists etc

The Huntingdon, Gosforth and Swansea trials will be feeding into the costing i.e. time and motion studies to see whether install times are significantly lower when using the connectorised roll-out

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Nov-15 09:57:32
Print Post

a) Managed Hardware... not actually that big a benefit and often a considerable downside.

b) Four Hour Fix - don't be so sure - the reality is (as someone who deals with this every day) that there are so many circumstances by which the 'n' hour fix agreements don't apply (because almost all breaks have arisen because of something not too straightforward to fix quickly) it isn't as big a deal as it sounds.

c) SLA Benefits - like getting a considerably smaller amount back if it fails than the cost of the disruption, so not actually a benefit to anyone with a modicum of common sense.

d) Bandwidth Guarantees - you can largely mitigate this by other factors.

e) Symmetric bandwidth - given the typical cost for a comparable speed/upload, especially with FTTC around, you'll often find this isn't much of a benefit either - and unless you take reasonably sized lines, you're often worse off in real terms.

Leased Lines (and the various options considered as such) do have a place, but commodity connectivity has largely decreased the primary USP, and with the right people and services in place, you can enjoy better overall service availability and speed without going down the leased line route for considerably less cost.
Standard User bob_cat
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 11:28:37
Print Post

Hyperoptic's business model is that they install a gigabit leased line to a building and then the residents subscribe to a the contended line. They normally only install to blocks of flats because that way they can spread the cost and get the return on investment.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to