General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User simongking
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 22:42:30
Print Post

FTTP Installation questions

[link to this post]

Hi

After months of waiting we are able to get FTTP to our house. Our cabinet was not compatible with Fibre but May last year contractors were in our street laying fibre and they told me it was going to be FTTP.

That's the good news, so the first appointment has happened but didn't go as I was expecting but that may be down to my lack of understanding. When I read around the subject I thought the external fixing would go where I wanted it so that Fibre would come into the house where I wanted it.

But the OR gentlemen said they had to fix it where the phone line enters the house. The idiots that designed our house put the entry point for the phone line in the hall which is the worst place. There are extension points around the house which is where we have the phone plugged in.

So I discussed with them how I could have the modem where I need it, in my study. They told me that the engineer that does the second visit can run the cable around the house and bring it in where I want it. That's as long as it was no more that 20m.

Reading some more I am concerned that they will try to do the cables runs inside the house which isn't practical and would be pretty unsightly so we really are keen that the cables go outside of the house to the point where the modem (ONT) is installed.

If they bring the fibre in to the house where the phone line enters they may as well install the modem in another country. It is in the most ridiculous spot with no power and running cables from there would mean going through walls and around door frames.

So after all of that the question is does anyone have any experience of this and could they help manage my expectations. I work in IT so have more than a fundamental understanding of technology but feel I am being given duff information. I fully expect the internal engineer to say can't do that and that the external engineers should never have told me that!

Any help much appreciated.

Simon
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Feb-16 22:50:28
Print Post

Re: FTTP Installation questions

[re: simongking] [link to this post]

The fibre ONT, i.e. what the second person will install just needs to go near some power, so run cable to a suitable place inside property, and then run Ethernet cable of outside grade (so the insulation is not broken down by UV when outside the property) yourself to where you want to place the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simongking
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 23:06:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, but that unfortunately isn't a workable solution for us, the phone line comes in to the house in the hall as mentioned. But that is it there is nowhere sensible or powered for the ONT to go so it will need to be placed somewhere else to get power etc.

As I said the idiots that designed the house placed the main phone socket in the hallway in the middle of a wall with nothing else nearby!

So unless the second engineer can run a cable outside and bring the fibre in near power etc we have a problem.

Hopefully there are other options.

Regards
Simon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 13-Feb-16 23:09:58
Print Post

So there isn't a power socket within 20 metres of the hall?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Feb-16 23:46:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The fibre from the external socket can be run for the distance suggested (20m) the key will be to have cleared the route and make things as easy as possible for the internal person.

It does not need to be directly in line with the external socket

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simongking
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-16 09:20:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

The nearest useable power socket is about 3.5M from the point in the hall where the phone line enters. But the point I was badly trying make or ask was can the cabling be run outside the house from the external point. I really don't want unsightly cables running inside the house and we already have the sky satellite cable running around the house so that's what we'd like to happen.

Regards
Simon
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 14-Feb-16 09:31:06
Print Post

Have you seen this? Part 1 has a picture outside and Part 2 has a picture inside.
http://tom.goskar.com/2013/09/20/my-fibre-to-the-pre...
http://tom.goskar.com/2013/10/16/my-fibre-to-the-pre...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Feb-16 11:06:28
Print Post

In theory yes so long as overall length is kept within the 20m range

Standard User simongking
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-16 11:44:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Have you seen this? Part 1 has a picture outside and Part 2 has a picture inside.
http://tom.goskar.com/2013/09/20/my-fibre-to-the-pre...
http://tom.goskar.com/2013/10/16/my-fibre-to-the-pre...

Yes I looked at that when they started laying fibre in the street which is why I got the impression that the external work would place the outside box where I wanted Fibre to enter the house. But the external guys had a different version of events.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Feb-16 13:25:16
Print Post

There is always a degree of variation between different areas and how teams have been trained, or their interpretation of things

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to