General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jax2
(member) Sun 14-Feb-16 14:43:12
Print Post

Re: FTTP Installation questions

[re: simongking] [link to this post]

When I had my FTTP installed they put the external fixing fairly close to where I wanted the fibre entering the house which for me is not where the master socket is. FTTP has nothing to do with the master socket. Your engineer either did not understand or couldn't be bothered. Still it is done now so you are stuck with it.
From that external fixing the second engineer ran an external fibre cable to where I wanted the ONT, the cable was then brought through the wall and connected up to the ONT. Obviously I had to have a power socket close by for the ONT. If you think of an ONT as a modem then an ethernet cable is then run from that as per normal and connected to the WAN port of the router. My engineers were very helpful.

Edited by Jax2 (Sun 14-Feb-16 14:49:33)

Standard User simongking
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-16 14:57:09
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

I think they couldn't be bothered very young I made them coffee showed them what I wanted but they completely ignored me. Didn't bother to knock the door when they finished just left the cups outside. But if they can run the cable outside I'll be happy enough! We'll see when visit two happens I have plan a and plan b. Plan a my study ideal spot plenty of power and where my router is now. Plan b dining room just a short run from the external fixing 3.5 m.
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Sun 14-Feb-16 15:55:29
Print Post

Fortunately mine was a very simple install, the CSP is literally on the outside of the same wall as the ONT with less than a metre of fibre between, maybe even half a metre. I like to make these things as simple as possible lol

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-16 17:52:17
Print Post

I think they couldn't be bothered

That sounds a fair assumption, it used to be that the 1st stage guy would, if possible, make contact with the punter, and discuss a good spot to site the CSP dependant on where the ONTE was to go, I suspect some of the old school chaps still do.

For the last two I fitted it clearly hadn't been even asked of the customer.

The external kits go up to 30m, but remember there is need of a couple of meters slack at the CSP end. I personally would always prefer to run this lead in externally if possible.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-16 17:56:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Poor sod, how old was his splicer !

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 15-Feb-16 17:59:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What's wrong with it?
Standard User simongking
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-16 19:23:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The external kits go up to 30m, but remember there is need of a couple of meters slack at the CSP end. I personally would always prefer to run this lead in externally if possible.

That gives me some confidence thanks, I would say the distance externally would be about 15m so plenty of spare.

There is some foliage around the house will I need to clear that, I'll be on hand to help iff needed. I have cleared the area where I want the ONTE to go but there are some climbing plants and bushes. So if I need to do some gardening that will have to be this weekend.

Thanks
Simon
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-16 21:07:23
Print Post

If you could clear the proposed exterior route that would certainly help the installer no end.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-16 21:10:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The new ones are way easier to use. wink

Standard User simongking
(newbie) Wed 17-Feb-16 07:49:23
Print Post

Thanks for the input I hope I get an installer like you then I will be a very happy bunny. I will be mostly gardening on Sunday.

One week left till the install! Going to be a shock going from 3.5mbs to 330mbs. Upload speed will matter a lot too as I work from home and upload a lot of files and photos!

Regards
Simon
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to