General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Mon 22-Aug-16 11:37:32
Print Post

Will the regulations changes affect 5GHz AC Backhaul

[link to this post]

So among many ideas of how to resolve the broadband problems we have in this area, wireless solutions are considered. Including the use of 5GHz AC based equipment.

See article below

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/22/lte_u_5g_dis...

Is it right the argument here is to make LTE and 5G equipment play nice with any nearby 5GHz AC radios? Clearly to have the local community invest their own money to build this system and then in the next 5 years find performance degrades because of commercial LTE and 5G networks would be disappointing to say the least.

So am I concerned over nothing here?

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Aug-16 12:28:05
Print Post

Re: Will the regulations changes affect 5GHz AC Backhaul

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

5G is going to eat lots of bandwidth at low frequencies, through to the 60 GHz bands i.e. it uses a multitude of bands to provide its available everywhere but also high speed in some areas.

So 5G might eradicate your business plan totally, let alone impact on spectrum capacity

So yes right to be concerned, but everything is so vague who knows what will happen. Given 802.11ac is a growing range of hardware for in home use, anything that impacts that side is not going to popular. Is there not a different band you could use outside the AC range i.e. what other wireless providers are using.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User godsell4
(member) Mon 22-Aug-16 13:45:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do you have other specific equipment in mind?

This would be a community funded project, we have not gotten a formal quote from BTO yet but we expect it to be in the £20K per cabinet range and we need 4 of them to build an entirely FTTC solution, I do not think we will be able to raise those kind of funds so assuming the worst and preemptively trying to consider other options just as a paperwork exercise.

But one or two cabinets would work, with the rest served by wireless from a property near a new cabinet feeding a location 3 to 5km away by a point to point 500-750Mb 5GHz AC connection. From there a few properties could be connected by Fibre but the rest would be point to multipoint fed, with some being 1.5 to 2km away, again using 5GHz AC radios.

The price and performance of the Ubiuiti gear is fairly compelling.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Aug-16 14:10:47
Print Post

To be totally frank, the way that 5G may carve a whole in the spectrum any choice you make now may be wrong in five years time, i.e. until standards for 5G are set in stone, anything might happen, e.g. if you pick WiMax kit they might leave AC alone and nick that band, or vice versa.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User loadbang
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 20:32:23
Print Post

5GHz is pretty cramped as it is. Here in Birmingham in the UK, half the unlicensed 5GHz spectrum is unusable because of RADAR at BHX airport 10km away. I have had multiple difficulties trying to point microwave dishes in the general direction of the airport.
  Print Thread

Jump to