General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 21:09:51
Print Post

FTTdp Question.

[link to this post]

I kind of know how it works but i'm wondering if they use fibre that already passes the dp, if that makes sense. Not quite sure how to word it laugh Or do they need to place more fibre to that specific dp?

Example.

https://ibb.co/ebmXu5

A fibre cabinet has just been built in Templand. Fibre will obviously be placed along that road to connect that cabinet. Will/can a dp tap into that fibre or will more have to be placed as i said above. If FTTdp becomes a fix for folks in similar circumstances that is.

I aint getting my hopes up but sounds like it could be a great solution for all the people that live along the north-eastern part of Lochmaben.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 21:42:26
Print Post

Re: FTTdp Question.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I'll leave it here. Don't want to spam the forum laugh

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 22-Aug-17 21:47:41)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Aug-17 22:51:11
Print Post

They need more fibre.

There is no realistic way to just tap into fibre willy-nilly.

There is a tree-and-branch hierarchy to distributing fibre around a piece of territory, starting with a fibre spine, cables of up to 288 strands of fibre, and a bunch of "nodes" that house splice trays for jointing.

The nodes are the only point to "tap" into the network, using a tray to hold the splice.

Even then, the fibre itself plays multiple rolls. Fibre going to a cabinet is "point-to-point", running a gigabit connection over a strand of fibre and can't be shared. Residential fibre is a shared PON, grouping up to 32 properties ... and all strands of fibres need to run via a special splitter node before heading to the exchange. Any future FTTdp will need a separate strand of fibre that could be point-to-point, or could be a PON (we don't know yet).

Luckily, though, any cables laid down tend to have multiple fibre strands running between nodes. Tapping into the network in future will be a matter of heading far enough back into the network to find the nearest (and correct type of) node to add a splice to.

The worst case for you, though, is if BT are minimalist, and run a bare minimum of strands of fibre to the cabinet, with no nodes. Then there'd be a long haul to go back for a splice in the future.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 23:34:21
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thank you for the informative reply WWWombat. Much appreciated.

So not quite as simple as i made it out to be. I just assumed any unused strands could be used and split of in any direction.

I'm hoping they install some sort of node. If they do i imagine it'll be at Todhilmuir so they can run fibre to the east. There's a village of to the east with around 30 premises plus 7 others (Including mine) so hopefully they class that as "profitable" and get it done. Again, i ain't getting my hopes up.

I'll keep an eye on the progress. I use that road on a daily basis so shouldn't miss to much. Should also note that codelook states another 5 cabinets go live within the next year or 2. 1 of them might be for Millhousebridge. We will see.

Thanks again WWWombat. Interesting read!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Aug-17 07:39:31
Print Post

How do you get at the unused strands while not breaking service for existing lines? The break-ins/outs need to be designed in when the network is rolled out, not retrofitted

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 23-Aug-17 10:11:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Now you know why i asked the question. I don't know a lot about this stuff as you can probably tell from the comments i made.
  Print Thread

Jump to