General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bill100
(learned) Thu 28-Dec-17 07:01:18
Print Post

Leased line - wholesale provider

[link to this post]

I am wondering about the differences between the wholesale providers used for leased lines.

Is there any difference between a leased line that uses BT vs Talktalk? In terms of features, quality of service, reliability etc?

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Dec-17 11:30:02
Print Post

Re: Leased line - wholesale provider

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

Leased line for what purpose? Do you mean a leased line that is point to point or that connects to something run by the operator (such as an ISP)? If it is point to point then it is going to be differences in service levels and what level of equipment they are using at the end points which could make a difference to what you get. For the most part though it will be the service that could be different as 100Mb point to point leased line should work pretty much the same with any provider. QoS is set at the routers/switches at each end and is either under your control or should be set by the provider to what you request if they are providing a managed service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Dec-17 12:03:40
Print Post

The QoS and bandwidth guarantees and uptime guarantee should all be laid out in the contract or quote

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bill100
(learned) Thu 28-Dec-17 16:25:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I guess I am trying to understand the stuff that is often unspoken in the contracts; such as actual reliability, quality of peering, stability etc.

If anyone has experience with both maybe they could shed some light. It may well be the case that there is practically no difference to the end user.

@ian72 I am after an internet access leased line not PTP.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Dec-17 09:38:18
Print Post

And you definitely mean a leased line rather than FTTC/FTTP?

Performance generally on lease lines should be very good as you are normally paying for an uncontended service which is why they cost much more. Reliability wise if we are talking FTTP there isn't likely to be much between any supplier. Peering arrangements with the big ISPs should all be pretty good as well so again unlikely to see much difference on average (of course there will always be edge cases). My suspicion is that if you are paying for a like for like service (ie same uptime guarantees, SLA, etc) then you aren't going to see that much difference with a lease line service - very different to the consumer world where levels of contention can be a big issue.
  Print Thread

Jump to