General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandFlash
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 14:08:15
Print Post

Re: Current Satellite Broadband Supplier Recommendations

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Thanks. Thats really useful. Didn't know about that software.

The more I hear about satellite, the more it concerns me.

You last comment clairifies things for me when I've got a whole load of pressure which fogs things. Think I'll push the sellers to allow us to do stage 1 install.

My understanding is that if stage 1 is ok, no one seems to recall a time when it couldn't proceed to a live fttp connection, which we could do after the purchase completes (if it does).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Mar-18 14:14:22
Print Post

[re: broadbandFlash] [link to this post]

If service cannot be provisioned then cancellation is automatic as no service provided

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 14:59:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its hard as they solicitors are really piling on the pressure, having been dragging their heels for months.

However when I stand back and look at the situation, I think it would take them a long time to get other buyers or to rent it out.

Either way, this new information (i.e. that the FTTP is not guaranteed) is a key thing for us. Admittedly they did not put it up for sale with that feature described, but its something we need never the less.

Currently we're just asking by email to them to do the stage 1 install, but if that is negative or we get no reponse, we'll have to go to the point of not continuing (after months of rangling on other issues). Its exhausting.

Edited by broadbandFlash (Tue 06-Mar-18 23:54:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-18 17:40:08
Print Post

Is it showing as FTTP On Demand?

Can you provide screenshots here: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

Use the address checker not post code.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Mar-18 18:16:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

No its showing native GEA-FTTP - we've been over this ground before

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-18 19:08:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On a different thread?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Mar-18 20:01:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yeah http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4584898-do-...

Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 20:10:38
Print Post

Ah, so I'm guessing you're in the bit between Aberystwyth & Machynlleth (Talybont, Taliesin, Tre'r Ddol, Glandyfi / Dyfi Junction, etc) - a very nice area! Yes, you're in the north of Ceredigion, the opposite end of the county to me. So, not sure if those Fixed Wireless providers are in your area - but as you say, it's worth making enquiries.

As for the 4G router - the MR200 is the only one I have experience with, others are available (just search the likes of Amazon for "4G Router"). But - yes the MR200 will take your smaller SIM: it takes the larger "standard SIM" by default, but if I recall correctly, the router came with an adapter so you can fit the smaller micro & nano SIMs in too (and if not, the SIM adapters are very cheap).

Also, yes, the MR200 (and most other 4G routers) with work with an external antenna - in fact, I have the same one you linked to (the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001), and it uses the "SMA" connectors: yes, just remove the antennae supplied with the router, and connect the external antenna instead.

Yes, the router does have LEDs that show the signal strength (0 to 4 bars), and also whether it's connecting via 4G. However - when I first started, I was on 0 (zero) bars (none lit up) - but still managed a reasonable 4G signal on that! You can test by connecting a mobile phone to the router's built-in WiFi connection, & running speed tests etc via the phone, if necessary.

Anyway, if you decide to try out a 4G router, hopefully you'll be successful - and hopefully it will be a useful backup even if you do eventually get the FTTP connection installed.

Yes, you may have some explaining to do waving a broomstick out of the car - LOL!

Good Luck anyway, hopefully you will be successful with FTTP, but otherwise it may be that 4G will be a useful alternative.
Standard User mrijones
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 22:34:07
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AdamInTheSticks:
Ah, so I'm guessing you're in the bit between Aberystwyth & Machynlleth (Talybont, Taliesin, Tre'r Ddol, Glandyfi / Dyfi Junction, etc) - a very nice area! Yes, you're in the north of Ceredigion, the opposite end of the county to me. So, not sure if those Fixed Wireless providers are in your area - but as you say, it's worth making enquiries.

Good Luck anyway, hopefully you will be successful with FTTP, but otherwise it may be that 4G will be a useful alternative.

I live in that area and there are a number of locations where Superfast Cymru's project has come to the end of it's term and only some of the FTTP preparation work has been completed.

If your proposed new place shows WBC FTTP available then there shouldn't really be any issues in getting it installed since the infrastructure is already in place and it's just the final bit that needs putting in once people order.

What Superfast Cymru and Openreach have failed miserably to do in Wales is to actually tell people that faster internet be it either FTTC, FTTP or whatever, is available and that's a reason in some areas for this very expensive hardware hanging around not doing anything.

I've had FTTC for over 2 years, and it was only a few months ago that my neighbours over the road found out about that FTTC was available and that was only by chance. A few others thought that they would automatically be upgraded rather than having to order it.

One thing that confused some people was that the exchange (Talybont)was updated to ADSL2+ a few months after the 1st cab was installed, so people close to the exchange went from "up to 8" to "up to 24" and they thought this was due to "fibre" and they'd been upgraded.

Good luck
(learned) Thu 08-Mar-18 09:48:25
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Hi Adam,

It is a lovely area, and as long as I can work from it we hope all works out.

Can I ask a quick question:
With your Draytek setup, am I right in remembering that the Draytek can use the 4g router as a wireless access point - in other words use the 4g connectivity and you still have the use of the Drayteks firewall etc, so your homes network is protected by the Draytek, even whilst connecting through the 4g router?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to