General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(learned) Thu 08-Mar-18 17:13:09
Print Post

Re: Current Satellite Broadband Supplier Recommendations

[re: broadbandFlash] [link to this post]

Yes, you are correct, in that the Draytek has full control & you can use its firewall etc to protect your network, even when connecting through the 4G router.

You can download the User Guides etc here: Draytek Vigor 2860 downloads

Actually - Draytek also do their own dedicated 4G router in the 2860 range: Draytek Vigor 2860Ln

For me, the 2860 Vac I think is a bit more flexible, as it also has built-in ADSL/VDSL functionality, you just have to add your own 4G connection (via a 4G router connected to the Draytek via the WAN2 ethernet port, or a 4G USB "dongle" in one of the Draytek's USB ports).

The Draytek Vigor 2860Vac has 4 WANs - WAN1 is provided by the built-in ADSL2/VDSL2 modem, so you can use that for ADSL or FTTC. WAN2 is provided by an ethernet port connection - this is what I currently use for my 4G router - but because the router is in an upstairs window (to obtain best reception - the higher the better is usually true for 4G routers & antennae), and the Draytek is downstairs near my master socket, I connect the 2 via ethernet cables & powerline adaptors (similar to these ones [although mine is an older, cheaper & slower version]: TP-Link Powerline Adapters).
WAN3 & WAN4 are the USB ports, as you can use 3G/4G "dongles" for a 4G connection (like this one: Hauwei E3372 4G Dongle). In fact, these dongles are another option, especially if they can accept an external antenna (the E3372 can).

If I eventually get either a Fixed Wireless connection, or an FTTP connection, then that would have to connect via the WAN2 port instead of the 4G router (which would still be useful as a backup - or I could add a 4G USB "dongle" to one of the Draytek's USB ports, plus either a small antenna (e.g. Small 4G Antenna), or you can even connect the larger Poynting XPOL antenna to a 4G dongle via a CRC9-to-SMA adaptor (e.g. SMA-to-CRC9 adaptor)).

So, in summary: I use the Draytek to "load balance" my ADSL connection (WAN1) with my 4G connection (WAN2), but the Draytek provides protection & control for the combined ADSL + 4G link.

The Draytek actually provides a lot more control & options than I have had a chance to explore yet.
Standard User broadbandFlash
(learned) Thu 08-Mar-18 23:48:33
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Thanks for this Adam. Really appreciate it. The 4g equipment arrive tomorrow, will test at property as soon as weather allows. Wish me luck.
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-18 11:31:12
Print Post

I really hope it works for you (I'd feel guilty about recommending 4G if it doesn't!). Sadly there are no real guarantees though until you try it. Don't forget, you may need to try the router (+ antenna) in various locations - and higher up is usually better. Also - try the router with built-in antenna first, you only need to try the external one (if you have that too) later on.

Good Luck - update this thread when you have tried it! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Fri 09-Mar-18 11:46:04
Print Post

[re: mrijones] [link to this post]

That sounds familiar. There are locations 3 - 4 miles from where I live that have FTTP equipment (splitters on poles) installed, but I don't think the connections have necessarily been fully commissioned yet - that's the impression I get anyway. I think only those people who are keen to upgrade their broadband connection speeds keep up-to-date with developments - I doubt SuperFast Cymru post leaflets in an area once FTTC or FTTP are available? That would probably be a good idea, if they want to improve take-up.

Sadly, the area I live has been completely left out of the Superfast Cymru rollout so far. All the properties in our area are marked as "NGA White" - so I wait to see if we're included in Phase 3 of the rollout (that is, if phase 3 actually happens). We're all on long-ish EO (Exchange-Only) lines, on a Market A exchange which is still 20CN (so only ADSL Max - although I *think* our exchange is supposed to be upgraded to 21CN this year, so we may at least get ADSL2+), and no cabinets, plus being a small hamlet (< 50 properties): so I won't hold my breath on being upgraded anytime soon...!
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-18 11:57:04
Print Post

You should not feel guilty at all, even if it doesn't work. Your suggestions are extremely helpful, and the only thing I have to go on right now (apart from the hope that openreach indications are correct). I'm sure I'll use the equipment at other times/locations.

I'm taking a 3-4m telescopic pole and taping the ariel to the top. Router will be powered from car, and as you suggest I'll try it without the external aerial first. Providing I don't get arrested for doing such an odd thing, I'll report back the results!
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-18 13:28:45
Print Post

Well, if you do eventually get the hoped-for FTTP, a 4G connection will still be a useful backup link if it works ok. Plus it's portable, so can be used in other locations, as you mentioned.
If we ever get FTTC or FTTP where I live, I think I'd keep the 4G link as a "fail-over" backup option - especially as our overhead cable route is potentially susceptible to damage (trees / high winds, etc), or any other of the more usual outages.

Hopefully you won't get arrested, ha ha! Good Luck anyway.
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-18 18:20:02
Print Post

Hi Adam,

I've got the MR200 and I've a quick question as I fiddle with it, just in case you've gone down this path..Is it possible to connect to the router remotely from the internet (or devices connected to it on the LAN)?

Looks like there's a technical limitation on all 4g devices to do with CGNAT, which I am just learning about, which stops this. Just wondered if its something you've managed to do.

I've tried accessing the routers public 4G ip address directly with no success (EE 4G).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-18 19:09:20
Print Post

Are you aware you cannot just ask for a ‘stage 1 install’ its the whole shebang or nowt.

(learned) Fri 09-Mar-18 19:11:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, but presumably you can cancel after stage 1 and before stage 2.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Mar-18 19:15:38
Print Post

And pay the costs

Also a risk that an abandoned order may have problems when trying to subsequently order after moving in.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to