General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-18 20:21:12
Print Post

Re: Current Satellite Broadband Supplier Recommendations

[re: broadbandFlash] [link to this post]

I must admit, I haven't yet had the need to access the 4G router remotely.
I had heard about the CGNAT issues. For example: ISPReview Forum Thread (may provide some ideas of a solution).
Also: Another ISPReview Forum Thread

Maybe a Dynamic DNS service (e.g. No-IP) could work? Setting up DDNS on Archer MR200

The thing is, I still use my slow ADSL link (as it does have unlimited data allowance), and combine it with the 4G link, with Load Balancing via the DrayTek. So, for remote access to my LAN, I can use the ADSL link if required. I'd always think of 4G as a "turbo boost" (plus backup link) for the ADSL connection (and if I use all my 4G data before the month is up, I've still got that slower but unlimited data link to fall back on).

It may be possible to find a work-around for the CGNAT (e.g. via a VPN, or other means - another example: CGNAT Workaround): it's more of an issue if 4G is going to be your *only* internet connection.

Others here may be able to provide further advice.

Good luck with the MR200.
Standard User broadbandFlash
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-18 00:40:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Understood - but there must be some solution here, rather than just walking away. It does not say cancelling an order at any point makes it more difficult to order at a later date, and I have offered to fund a survey by Openreach/BT, but they are not interested.
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-18 00:44:33
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Thanks Adam - you've given me some interesting things to look at there. I can't expect everything from 4g, and it does seem much improved using the router instead of tethering using my phone. Will see what its like at the location.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-18 08:10:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadbandFlash:
Looking for another option for a house we are buying in mid Wales. This _may_ have a fibre option, but the copper connection if that doesn' t happen is only <2mb.

You are correct to proceed with caution. My brother just bought a house and had checked available options and FTTC was showing at 50Mb. The day after move in and BT guy turns up to install the "fibre" broadband and he was told he can only get ADSL at 1Mb. Currently in limbo awaiting an in depth check from BT as to what has gone wrong but no guarantees given.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-18 09:50:57
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Hi Craski,

I'm very sorry hear your brother is in that situation. This is my fear also. What part of the country is that if you don't mind me asking?

Also was this issue discovered on the first visit by bt?(I'm not sure whether FTTC is a two stage install like FTTP is)

See the other bits of this thread on 4g in case its of use to him.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-18 11:04:01
Print Post

"It does not say cancelling an order at any point makes it more difficult to order at a later date"

I know it does not say that, but experience from when people try and be clever with standard broadband migrations, provides shows that doing things that are outside the normal parameters can leave codes within systems that confuse subsequent orders.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-18 11:05:27
Print Post

FTTC involves no visits to the home

Would need to have details of the location to comment on the FTTC, but most common reason for this is that a cabinet has run out of line card ports.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-18 13:22:24
Print Post

Thanks MrSaffron. I understand it looks cheeky, but this course was actually suggested by a BT customer services rep, and also by a member of the Superfast Cymru team. I've literally tried every other avenue and offered to pay any costs.

In my oppinion, they (openreach) really need to offer a (paid for) survey as an option in these circumstances. The whole point of Superfast Cymru was to encourage people such as us to move to Wales and work from there, and yet we cannot guarantee that is the case even when there's a fibre node 100 meters away.

There are a couple of other small issues with the house we are in the process of ironing out, but really the last major issue is whether or not I could work from there.
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-18 17:59:36
Print Post

It is in Aberdeenshire. The previous owner only had ADSL and my brother was able to order infinity and it was only on day of install that BT engineer doing job (reconnect line and broadband install) said it was ADSL only. Since that happened, the number no longer shows FTTC as available on the DSL checker. Dont want to hijack your thread but just wanted to let you know that exercising caution doesn't do any harm if guarantee of decent broadband is important to you.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-18 18:03:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
most common reason for this is that a cabinet has run out of line card ports.

Yeah, hopefully it is something like this that can be resolved and he isnt left with 1Mb ADSL as his only fixed line option.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to