General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-18 13:43:53
Print Post

Need your opinions on wireless broadband.

[link to this post]

So my village currently receives around 0.25-0.75Mbps. Some people have got satellite, 4G and just ADSL. We are working towards funding for a Community Fibre Partnership, but it could be a while before we get the funds raised and openreach carry's out all the work.

Anyways i have been chatting to Solways Communications and they reckon that my house is available for their wireless broadband service (they wont know for sure until they come out and install it, i may have to cut some trees down etc) the package they are recommending is this https://www.solwaycomms.com/basic-broadband/ around £33pm, Unlimited downloads, 10Mbps download 2.5Mbps upload, with a speed guarantee of 50% so i should always receive 5Mbps download speed.

What sort of experience should i expect from this form of broadband?
Their FAQ https://www.solwaycomms.com/faqs/ states that it's a 20:1 contention ratio and the ping is around 6ms, i spoke to an employee and he said it' generally closer to 3ms but can stray to 10ms.
Will online gaming work with this technology?
Could i say game online and have a few other family members use the internet, maybe one using social media and another streaming either HD or SD?

Thanks in advance. Solway coms could be the solution i was looking for before fibre gets installed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:45:37
Print Post

Re: Need your opinions on wireless broadband.

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

No reason why online gaming will have any issues with that latency, of course if you have 10 Mbps download and someone starts a HD video stream you will find your latency increasing if someone is trying to game at the same time, just like any other internet connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:59:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, thanks for the info MrSaffron. Any idea how much the ping would increase by?
I currently game on 0.5Mbps download 0.3Mbps upload and around 50 ping and never suffer any lag.

Streaming in SD would help reduce the amount the ping wold rise by i guess and im guessing browsing webpages wouldn't use up to much data and increase ping by that much?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 16:20:05
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Might be lower than what you have now.

If you want streaming and gaming at the same time on a 10 Mbps size connection then running QoS on your router to protect the types of traffic is important, but millions don't bother and don't notice the spike that a large web page load can produce.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to