General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User freeflowfruits
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-18 09:43:55
Print Post

asus dsl-n14ub1 router config to work with 2 isps?

[link to this post]

Hi
I got a asus dsl-n14ub1router which is connected to originbroadband adsl via telephone(1mb), which is very slow and unreliable. i am keeping this for another 4 month. i know have got community wireless broadband with its own "modem" (30mb speed)with just one Ethernet port, i am using a switch to connect other computers to the modem.
my question is can ai use the the asus dsl-n14ub1 to act like a router and also, can it connect, at the same time ,to both isps, eg combine them, bundle so to get more out of them and provide backup, if one goes down and to connect all computers together on same net work?
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jun-18 11:31:03
Print Post

Re: asus dsl-n14ub1 router config to work with 2 isps?

[re: freeflowfruits] [link to this post]

This community solution if it is a modem then for other devices to work by just adding a switch implies the modem is also a router, make/model will help you get an answer.

The DSL router you have does have ability to work as an Ethernet router, but you need to be sure you are not creating a double NAT solution

The existing hardware you have will not be able to do a balanced or bonded type solution.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-18 13:38:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
This community solution if it is a modem then for other devices to work by just adding a switch implies the modem is also a router, make/model will help you get an answer.

The DSL router you have does have ability to work as an Ethernet router, but you need to be sure you are not creating a double NAT solution

The existing hardware you have will not be able to do a balanced or bonded type solution.

Hi
Thanks it has one ethernet port and one wireless one,
This is apparently what it is called
Device Model: airGateway
Device Name: airGateway
Network Mode: Bridge
Wireless Mode: Access Point
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jun-18 17:46:59
Print Post

If it is the one made by Ubiquiti then it is already a wireless router.

Load balancing that with your existing ADSL is possible, but not with the Asus router you have

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 03-Jun-18 10:20:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If it is the one made by Ubiquiti then it is already a wireless router.

Load balancing that with your existing ADSL is possible, but not with the Asus router you have

it is not just for load balancing or bundling, it is also for being able to connect to my computers which are using the originbroadband connection via the network, so some are run from one modem/router some are from the other and i wish to be able to transfer files freely.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jun-18 10:35:15
Print Post

You'll be in the situation of having two DHCP servers on the same LAN if not careful.

If you turn off the DHCP on one router device and use static IP addressing apart on the LAN then the two router devices on the same LAN is possible, and you can set up a second IP address for many devices, the trick is to only assign the gateway based on which device you want to use to access the internet.

Print Thread

Jump to