User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Penuts9999
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:30:15
Print Post

Xilo/Uno Pro 16 ever going to allow Fast path?

[link to this post]

Long story short; I have a long line, which is pants. I could only get a max of 1mbit stable on ADSL, then of course Sky decided to shut down UKOnline. The only ISP I could seemingly find that had unmetered packages of similar proportions while also being on LLU was Xilo. Or Uno. I knew the line would be interleaved but I'd been reading here that I can get it switched to fast path relatively easily, and I was on fast path with UKonline so I figured it could be done for me also. But I've been told by support now when I tried to do this that it cannot be done on the pro 16 package because the exchange equipment for that pack doesn't support it. I do wonder though, will it ever support it?

I actually used to pay only a tenner to UKonline for the 1mbit service, since I signed up to them back before they got rid of their 1mbit package, so moving up to 18 quid a month for only a marginal gain on speed but an incredible reduction in line stability and latency doesn't really warrant the extra money I'm now having to spend. I know I can't really do a lot due to the line length but it's just a shame xilo/uno don't offer a 1mbit unmetered service like UKonline did, for a tenner. I think if they did I'd switch to it quite quickly.

Right now pinging bbc.co.uk, despite the sync currently being at 1.6mbits (which it rarely stays at due to line instability), the pings I'm getting are atrocious. Averaging 100ms. frown
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:54:01
Print Post

Re: Xilo/Uno Pro 16 ever going to allow Fast path?

[re: Penuts9999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Penuts9999:
I knew the line would be interleaved but I'd been reading here that I can get it switched to fast path relatively easily

You might be getting confused with Pro 24, possibly? It has never been easy on Pro 16, if at all possible.

I've been told by support now when I tried to do this that it cannot be done on the pro 16 package because the exchange equipment for that pack doesn't support it. I do wonder though, will it ever support it?

Something we have asked C&W for but after a year later, there is little progress made. We did have a number of lines on their trial for new profiles at the back end of 2009 but it appears this was put on hold.

Right now pinging bbc.co.uk, despite the sync currently being at 1.6mbits (which it rarely stays at due to line instability), the pings I'm getting are atrocious. Averaging 100ms. frown

If the line is unstable, this is likely the cause for the high latency to the degree you're seeing. 16-25ms is the general average for the lowest interleaving setting on C&W equipment.

Should the line only support 1Mb stable as you had with UKO, we can look at applying a better profile for you but you do need to contact us first.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Penuts9999
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 15:19:03
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

You might be getting confused with Pro 24, possibly? It has never been easy on Pro 16, if at all possible.

Nah I think all it boils down to is people who I've seen on here talking about switching interleaving to fast path were on packages that supported it but I hadn't taken much notice of that aspect.

Something we have asked C&W for but after a year later, there is little progress made. We did have a number of lines on their trial for new profiles at the back end of 2009 but it appears this was put on hold.

Ah well fair enough

If the line is unstable, this is likely the cause for the high latency to the degree you're seeing. 16-25ms is the general average for the lowest interleaving setting on C&W equipment.

Should the line only support 1Mb stable as you had with UKO, we can look at applying a better profile for you but you do need to contact us first.

Well when I was talking to support they did offer to alter my SNR so I could possibly get a more stable sync, at the cost of reduction in sync speed. I decided not to bother. Like I said, I was paying a tenner for 1mbit before but presumably you wouldn't make any changes in price even if you did limit my line, so figured I couldn't be bothered with the possible hassle.

I'm probably not staying at this property for much longer anyway, another reason why i went with you guys seeing as you have one month rolling contracts. So maybe in a few months I'll be gone and the poor sod who moves in will have to deal with a completely [censored] line. lol

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aramsay
(member) Wed 12-Jan-11 19:52:06
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
In reply to a post by Penuts9999:
I knew the line would be interleaved but I'd been reading here that I can get it switched to fast path relatively easily

My C&W Pro16 package shows:
# adslctl info --show
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1023 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21804 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 9.1 6.6
Attn(dB): 16.5 8.0
Pwr(dBm): 16.0 12.7
Max(Kbps): 24432 1040
Rate (Kbps): 21804 1023

Guess we just got lucky; real shame about the 9db SNR though frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jan-11 22:31:55
Print Post

[re: aramsay] [link to this post]

My C&W Pro16 package shows:
# adslctl info --show
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1023 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21804 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Guess we just got lucky
Or you've got a Netgear router, which that layout looks like. That mis-reports Fast/Interleaved, giving only the upstream value.

If you read the stats again and scroll down to the error stats, RS Corr is only possible on interleaved.

You could load DMT and see what that says. Mine shows upstream Fast, downstream Interleave depth 64, but adslctl shows Fast like yours.

I can guarantee I'm on interleaved as O2 do not do Fast Path downstream, though I believe upstream defaults to Fast.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User aramsay
(member) Wed 12-Jan-11 22:35:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Or you've got a Netgear router, which that layout looks like. That mis-reports Fast/Interleaved, giving only the upstream value.

I never knew that the Netgears did that.

We only use that as a backup link, so it's not too important, but it's interesting to know; thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to