User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheValk
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 19:13:12
Print Post

ADSL24/Murphx speeds

[link to this post]

Has anyone else had a problem with the down load speed of ADSL24 Murphx dropping to unacceptable levels during the peak periods?

Long story short, (I have a thread in the ADSL Technical Forum with more info), my speeds drop consistently from around 4.50Mb/s during the day to around 0.50Mb/s after around 16:00 and most of the weekends. This has only happened for the last couple of weeks.

ADSL24 Tech help have been very good in running test etc but have found no problem with their end, (and Murphxs' I hope), and have thrown it back to me and BT to sort out.

Am I alone here?

Larry
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 19:30:50
Print Post

Re: ADSL24/Murphx speeds

[re: TheValk] [link to this post]

Check your exchange here for possible VP congestion.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User TheValk
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 19:56:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Check your exchange here for possible VP congestion.

Yes, thanks.
Already did that and the VP shows green and has been for quite some time.

Larry

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cuthbei
(regular) Tue 25-Jan-11 19:57:35
Print Post

I think it must be specific to your line / geography, as I have had no such issues.

Cuthbei
Standard User TheValk
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 21:10:56
Print Post

[re: cuthbei] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cuthbei:
I think it must be specific to your line / geography, as I have had no such issues.

Cuthbei

I suspect you are right and I hope it returns to normal soon.
I am in mid Norfolk.
I don't want to leave because I like the company but if it is the local ADSL24/Murphx pipe and it doesn't recover then I might have to.
There is not much you can do on the modern internet with sub 1Mb/s speed other than Usenet or non-graphic intensive WEB sites.

Larry
Standard User cuthbei
(regular) Wed 26-Jan-11 07:09:56
Print Post

When you have the problem, I assume you have tried to ping each hop in a traced path to look for latency / packet loss? It isn't that likely to show much, as most of network is included in the first hop, but you might uncover soemthing.
Standard User huwwatkins
(learned) Wed 26-Jan-11 08:56:37
Print Post

[re: cuthbei] [link to this post]

I've been having the same problems recently. Last night somthing strange was going on. Usually my ping to bbc.co.uk is around 20. Last night it was 300-800ms! I also pinged each hop and it seems the problem is with the first murphx hop.

Edited by huwwatkins (Wed 26-Jan-11 08:58:40)

Standard User nahwiseup
(committed) Wed 26-Jan-11 09:33:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheValk:
Has anyone else had a problem with the down load speed of ADSL24 Murphx dropping to unacceptable levels during the peak periods?

Long story short, (I have a thread in the ADSL Technical Forum with more info), my speeds drop consistently from around 4.50Mb/s during the day to around 0.50Mb/s after around 16:00 and most of the weekends. This has only happened for the last couple of weeks.

ADSL24 Tech help have been very good in running test etc but have found no problem with their end, (and Murphxs' I hope), and have thrown it back to me and BT to sort out.

Am I alone here?

Larry

I'm only new to ADSL24 so have not yet got a feel on what to expect as normal speed - so I cannot comment on that.

I do seem to have packet loss during the day (as reported by the TBB BQM):

Yesterday:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/fb6828ebf13...

Monday:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/24db7a0235d...

These happens even though I am not using it during the day. I'll see if it happens again today. The large yellow spikes are me doing the odd speed test. Exchange VP is green.

Do any of you have the BQM monitoring you WAN IP latency for comparison?

ADSL24 FTTC (Fibre 30 PRO)

My online photos!
http://jim-cara.fotopic.net
Standard User TheValk
(newbie) Wed 26-Jan-11 09:55:16
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by huwwatkins:
I've been having the same problems recently. Last night somthing strange was going on. Usually my ping to bbc.co.uk is around 20. Last night it was 300-800ms! I also pinged each hop and it seems the problem is with the first murphx hop.

I have used the BT test site but predominately the speedtest.net site as it is quicker. The BT test usually has me waiting for a couple of minutes and then often times out.

On all the tests my ping is consistently 80-100ms. The up link speed is consistently 0.5Mb/s to 0.6Mb/s no matter if my download speed is 4.8Mb/s or 0.3Mb/s.
My exchange VP is and has been consistently green.

I am coming to the conclusion that it is a ISP bandwidth problem although ADSL24 tech support have told me they have been unable to detect any problem.

Larry
Standard User huwwatkins
(learned) Wed 26-Jan-11 15:48:07
Print Post

This is mine from last night!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3b825d84bd4...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to