User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-11 12:15:56
Print Post

Quick LLU Sync Speed Question

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm about to place an order to move over to Xilo on the C&W LLU package. At the moment I'm with Zen and currently get a sync speed of 9Mbps - 10Mbps (depending on the day and if there's a following wind!). My upstream is around 1Mbps.

Will I see similar speeds on C&W LLU?

Downstream Attentuation: 33dB
Downstream SNR: 6dB

Upstream Attenuation: 13dB
Upstream SNR: 5dB

Regards,

Stuart

Zen Pro - "Up to 20Mbit Broadband"
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-May-11 13:06:35
Print Post

Re: Quick LLU Sync Speed Question

[re: aquilla] [link to this post]

If you're on ADSL2+ modulation, that attenuation should sync at around 14Mb. I don't know why you're not seeing that now, but it may be line noise as your SNR is 6dB.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-11 14:14:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi Batboy,

When I moved to ADSL2+ last year I checked various checkers and they said around 14Mbps. I raised a fault with Zen but they said there was no fault on the line. Even plugged into the test socket it never synced higher than 10Mbps.

Just want to make sure I would see a similar speed on C&W LLU (ADSL2+) or higher (e.g. closer to 14Mbps).

Regards,

Stuart

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-11 14:21:03
Print Post

Without trying to burst your bubble, you may see less as C&W's minimum SNR profile is 9db, not the 6db you are currently seeing.

If you can tweak this, that may be a work around but they do not support anything lower.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-11 14:39:50
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, BTs DLM really doesn't like me on 6dB despite those line figures. It kept chucking me on 9dB which gave me a 8Mbps / 9Mbps profile. I asked Zen to reset the profile and have been monitoring it to see how long it will stay at 6dB. So far it's managed about a week but there have been several disconnections (the line was always more stable on 9dB).

As long as the line is stable and I can get a usable service 24 x 7 for the right price then I'm not that worried. Hell, it's only a one month contract so I could always migrate away.

Now Matt - any chance of a discount on the "migrating in" fee. wink

Regards,

Stuart

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-May-11 21:36:44
Print Post

Have a read through the whole of my Troubleshooting section, apart from the "Router acting oddly" page. There's a fair chance of something in there pointing to what is holding your connection speed down.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 21:21:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that. I've done most of those checks (e.g. removed the bell wire / replaced the microfilters / no sky box to worry about). Cables are not looped and power cables are separate where possible. The only think I haven't done as yet is replace the cable from the master socket to the extension as it currently runs under a fitted wardrobe. However as I stated earlier I did test in the test socket and even then the router failed to sync at anything above 11Mbps.

We do have a small box just inside the property where the external BT wire comes in and is joined to an internal wire which goes into the NTE5. I've taken the cover off and the wires are joined with some gel connectors - I don't know if they would need replacing? TBH the line is quiet and works at the moment so I don't want the hassle of trying to find out from BT if it needs replacing and if it would increas my BB connection. The box is similar to a BT80A RF2 but there is no circuit board inside, just the cables connected via gel connectors.

Regards,

Stuart

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 21:46:21
Print Post

Do any of your immediate neighbours get better speeds?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 22:08:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Half of my neighbours are over 70 and don't know what broadband is, the other half know what it is, but couldn't tell me what package their on or what speed they get / should be getting.

Regards,

Stuart

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Tue 17-May-11 00:29:18
Print Post

My Speeds were much slower (1.8). In my case the BT equipment apparently has "Too many connections (BT advanced fault team + 3 months). The switch away to the C&W LLU though Vivaciti cured this and gave me better speeds (now 3.4).

I think we could all learn a lot about our broadband by visiting a few neighbours and taking them through a few speed tests, noting and circulating the results.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to