User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 21:51:17
Print Post

C&W

[link to this post]

Can you adjust the snr from default 9 to 6 with dg team firmware on the netgear.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 21:56:12
Print Post

Re: C&W

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Try it with telnet and find out. Just doesn't keep it through a reboot of the router that's all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ScaryMonkey
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:04:33
Print Post

I am using a Bulldog LLU connection from Xilo so it should be C&W I believe. I am successfully using a hack on my Linksys WAG320N to push the SNR down in the same way DG Team firmware does on Netgear routers so it should be possible.
BTW I also received a nice boost from both BT, Sky and Tiscali based LLU connections as the Bulldog one gave me a higher sync for the same SNR and attenuation - perhaps the kit they are using is better suited to the WAG320N chipset.

Vince

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:20:10
Print Post

[re: ScaryMonkey] [link to this post]

Good to know
Had a 2 wire but C&W dont like that router and will kick it every few mins.

From what i have read, the DG team firmware settings will hold after a reboot.
Is this true.
Also what is the safe version and what is the one that bricks the router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:31:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by iwish:
From what i have read, the DG team firmware settings will hold after a reboot.
Is this true.
Yes.

I was just suggesting telnet to see if the C & W DSLAM accepts the tweak, but we have just been told that it does.

A major factor in bricking the router, which in the end I succeeded in doing, tongue, seems to me to be having a software firewall running whilst doing the flash. In a couple of previous flashes I spotted that in time, turned on Windows firewall, and turned off my software one. (OK I know the Windows firewall is software, but other vendor firewalls seem to get in the way and it doesn't).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:40:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah i never knew that about 3rd party firewalls.
But i have been reading alot about the firmware and alot say that the new one bricks the router and dont install it.
But they never say what version that was and the posts date back to 2010
The main reason a want to set the snr is that when my 2 wire did connect to C&W it gave me near a meg faster than any other modem am using. so pretty [censored] that i cant use it with them.
And yes the router does still work as its on my neighbors connection now and giving them a great boost in speed

Edited by iwish (Fri 18-Nov-11 22:43:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:50:23
Print Post

Always download the Netgear recovery tool from the Netgear site before starting.

I didn't in fact brick it loading DGTeam, it was when I was tring to restore the native Netgear it failed because of the firewall, because I forgot to turn it off, and continuing to forget I then ran the recovery tool, which I had used successfully before, and screwed that as well. The result was it wiped the router ID before it failed, so when I tried again with the firewall off there was no ID to select in the recovery tool frown.

Print Thread

Jump to