User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nickscs
(regular) Wed 28-Dec-11 14:04:02
Print Post

LLU or 21cn

[link to this post]

Hi,
I am on Bransgore exchange on the ADSL24 home30 package, i get 3mb download speed altho BT says I should only get 1mb . I am on a long line that isnt that stable, however Talk Talk has just enabled LLU and Samknows now says 21cn is enabled. So question is, which is the best way to go ?
Talk Talk is dreadful according to this site and everything I hear about them, so would I be wise to change to a Talk talk reseller and if so who would folk reccommend? I would love to get away from BT and their stupid profiling system.

I am happy with ADSL24

Thanks for any help/suggestions .

Nick.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Dec-11 14:37:41
Print Post

Re: LLU or 21cn

[re: nickscs] [link to this post]

ADSL24 can get you moved to ADSL2+, and the IP Profiling system on that has been changed this year. It is now an almost instant update and on most lines doesn't poach as much speed from the connection. So I suggest you suck it and see.

The noise margin problem remains I'm afraid.

Once you are on ADSL2+, with any ISP, you may find you end up with a lower connection speed than now. It will also almost certainly be even more unstable. It depends to some extent on your router. However ADSL24, or yourself given a suitable router, could then force the connection to ADSL2, which could give the current level of stability with a small speed increase and the new IP Profiling.

If you tell us the router make and model, and see if you can find and post your line stats, (see here for help), we should be able to be a bit more definite.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 28-Dec-11 14:38:17
Print Post

If you are happy with Adsl24 it looks like they are launching an Opal/TalkTalk product soon.

Link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nickscs
(regular) Wed 28-Dec-11 17:28:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Robertos,

Thanks for the reply, I used to use a 2wire but changed a year or so ago to a Thomson speedtouch 585, so that I could use Dmt tool to reset my sync speed.
I get problems with noise margin some evenings and weekends that I put down to electrical equipment in the local pub which is near me. I live in the sticks so few houses .

line stats.
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 22:05:32

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.776

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 524,67 / 5,14

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 18,5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,5 / 53,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 4,5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 7.895 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 752.948

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 186

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 165

Edited by nickscs (Wed 28-Dec-11 17:41:09)

Standard User nickscs
(regular) Wed 28-Dec-11 17:32:28
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Thanks gmoorc
registered an interest on this on their website some while ago, but as yet have not heard anything.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Dec-11 18:27:39
Print Post

Interesting stats there Nick.

What is the untweaked target margin? Looks as though the problem with it when you were through Enta is fixed?

The connection speed is a bit down on what I would expect, quite independent of any external noise bursts. Have you ever looked into the state of your phone wiring?

The error seconds are remarkably high though for 2 days running, but the FECs, HECs and CRCs are very low. Do you ever use the DMT graphing of noise margin?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 18:41:02
Print Post

You won't benefit from ADSL2+ but may gain a bit from ADSL2 only.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:08:47
Print Post

Surely the high number of error seconds suggests a line fault of some sort.. To the OP: can you disconnect everything except one filtered phone. Ring 17070 then choose option 2 for a quiet line test. Any crackles, noise or hiss? Telephone your voice provider and ask them to resolve the fault, making no mention of internet at all.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User nickscs
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 12:53:15
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Thanks but have done all that, get absolutely no joy from BT. When it rains heavily , water gets into the underground conduit out in the road and causes problems.
Standard User nickscs
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:14:06
Print Post

Those stats are untweaked, last used tool about 3 weeks ago when wet n windy and connection speed dropped to 2.7 mb. With heavy rain, water gets into the conduit out in the road and causes problems. BT deny this but a friendly engineer ( who found the problem when we were getting billed for other peoples calls) told me this is very common. There is also aluminium cabling down the road which they also deny apparently.
The problem when at Enta was never sorted, carried over to Murphx until early this year when I suddenly was getting synch speeds over 4mb, and snr dropped below 10 db , which it never did before. I assumed BT had done something at the exchange or somewhere and it had cleared up.
Phone wiring at home is good, sorted that ages ago. Have no home phone, no extension wiring, and 2 mtr cable to router from BT socket.
Have used the DMT monitor tool, but to be honest I dont really understand what its telling me. frown

So TT LLU maybe the way to go thru a reseller?

Edited by nickscs (Thu 29-Dec-11 13:18:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to