User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gc1
(learned) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:09:19
Print Post

Is anyone on the Tesco non-LLU product ?

[link to this post]

Is anyone on the Tesco non-LLU product. I.e. that which they describe as "Tesco Broadband Only (outside our network)". If so what is it like ?

I am not looking for the greatest speed - only a reasonable performance/price ratio at a BT only enabled exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 18:49:24
Print Post

Re: Is anyone on the Tesco non-LLU product ?

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

How much does "Tesco Broadband Only (outside our network)" cost, and what allowance limits does it have? Does it have traffic management?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Feb-12 19:34:50
Print Post

Some minimal info as for what it is actually like ,i would have a guess and say that it will probably be subject to heavy traffic management which may have an effect on other stuff too, if you look at what the likes of many AOL customers get,
or sky connect or o2 non llu , it will no doubt be cheap for a reason

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gc1
(learned) Wed 29-Feb-12 20:52:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have asked them if there is any traffic management. I am waiting for their reply. The cost is £14 per month for the first year and £18 per month thereafter. Supposedly the FUP is the same as their LLU product (100GB/month maximum - but I suspect subject to future changes).

As the performance and infrastructure is likely to be very different from their LLU offering I was hoping somebody might be using it and able to give a view as to whether it is worth considering.

All the online reviews I have read refer to their LLU product - and many of those are old reviews and refer the pre-C&W/Bulldog infrastructure so they are not relevant.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 22:00:17
Print Post

Just for a check on something else, which exchange is it? The URL of what samknows says would be ideal.

I think there could be more predictable services around the same price. How much download allowance do you need?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-Feb-12 22:01:02)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 00:50:26
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
if you look at what the likes of many AOL customers get
Why AOL in general? It is as much LLU as any other LLU ISP, with the proviso the its BB w/out line rental is 8 Meg max. Like other LLU ISPs it has it out-of-area exchanges that will use BTw and, as you say, will probably be subject to heavy traffic management.

You should say AOL out-of-area in the same breath as you say Sky Connect or O2 Access.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Mar-12 01:57:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
if you look at what the likes of many AOL customers get
Why AOL in general? It is as much LLU as any other LLU ISP, with the proviso the its BB w/out line rental is 8 Meg max. Like other LLU ISPs it has it out-of-area exchanges that will use BTw and, as you say, will probably be subject to heavy traffic management.

You should say AOL out-of-area in the same breath as you say Sky Connect or O2 Access.
AO hell also did or still do provide a bt based product, that is heavily throttled , then you have DLM and the bt profiling , then throw in some useless support that also cost you to ring, that offering was dire, as was o2's non llu and sky's , the op IMO maybe better off taking service via a reseller, thus avoiding any tie ins should they be unhappy several months down the line , As for their llu that's of course a different kettle o fish, but there's still the questionable support , tesco are not good buy some of the accounts that i have come across over the years , they are after all a supermarket

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 02:47:16
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

they are after all a supermarket
So? Despite being a supermarket they offer one of the top Instant Access Savings accounts that beats most of the high st. banks.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User gc1
(regular) Sat 03-Mar-12 13:39:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I received an answer from Tesco about their traffic management policy, but only a link to their site:

http://www.tescobroadband.com/tesco-broadband/broadb...

which doesn't sound too bad provided you don't expect super speeds during the 6pm to midnight slot.

My usage is about 30 GB/month. As I am quite far from the exchange (1.5 Mbps sync speed) I'm never going to get more than 1 or 1.25 Mbps anyway so a cheap provider might be OK. But it would still be interesting to hear from any existing users in case anyone's experience is worse than that.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 15:23:05
Print Post

I think the discussion about traffic management on the non-LLU product is irrelevant, particularly with your expected speed - as you have pointed out yourself.

Far more concerning to me would be the fact that all O2, Sky and TalkTalk all have dreadful reports of their non-LLU products, as did Orange when it was an LLU ISP.

The issue is very low provision per customer as they pay a lot more for the service than for the LLU ones. This means high congestion levels are possible.

With the Olympics coming up, I doubt if anything would be watchable.

Have you had a look at the Post Office or Plusnet? Cheaper anyway and a far better idea.

On Plusnet, the Pro option at an extra £5pm gets rid of their traffic management, but I doubt if it would affect you anyway. That part can be turned on or off monthly to experiment.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Mar-12 15:25:04)

Print Thread

Jump to