User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-12 14:53:05
Print Post

TalkTalk (CPW) resellers

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've just requested a MAC from Sky to bring my Sky Connect contract to an end. The only LLU provider in my exchange (SMYG) is TalkTalk (CPW) so, I'm looking for one of their reseller's to provide my service from now on.
Some facts:

Current sync (down): 8128Kbps
Current sync (up): 448Kbps
Throughput off peak (down): 69xxKbps
Throughput (up): 380Kbps
Line attn (down): between 34dB and 37dB depending on modem/ router used
Line attn (up): 10.5dB
Round trip latency to bbc.co.uk (off peak): 13ms
Most speed checkers seem to say that I should achieve between 10Mbps and 11.5Mbps, with a 37dB attn (my guesstimate usin the lowest ADSL1 figure I see). I've contacted Uno and they expect that I'd be able to achieve 8Mbps with my line.
Can't really tell what I should expect from Vivacity and ADSL24 states I should achieve 2Mbps.
Are there anymore available to me?
I guess I'm also after some advice from people who've used these resellers for what I should/ could expect too.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 24-Jun-12 16:12:10
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk (CPW) resellers

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

If you go with TalkTalk direct, you'll be fine..as long as you don't dabble in p2p...every other protocol runs at line speed 24/7. The horror stories relate to their poor phone support which somehow the masses think is the only way to get support. Stick with forum support and you'll have no problems at all. Why waste your money on a reseller when you can get cheaper broadband with no download limits? grin

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Jun-12 18:08:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
Most speed checkers seem to say that I should achieve between 10Mbps and 11.5Mbps, with a 37dB attn (my guesstimate usin the lowest ADSL1 figure I see). I've contacted Uno and they expect that I'd be able to achieve 8Mbps with my line.
Can't really tell what I should expect from Vivacity and ADSL24 states I should achieve 2Mbps.
Not used them but all three have good reputations here.

Your attenuation figures point to a connection speed of 10-12Mbps, as per what the checkers you've used say. If you also post your Noise Margin figure (SNR or SNRM perhaps in your router), that would help.

I don't know where those lower figures come from those three ISPs. I suspect you are on their wrong product pages or something. Though they may be giving throughput estimates. Based on (say) 80% of sync the uno ones looks fair enough. The other two will give the same speed, but the estimates are wierd.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User youngsyp
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-12 19:54:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses.

I've contacted all the ISP's mentioned for more details estimates and to see what packages they can offer me.

With regards to going to TalkTalk direct, I'm not really keen. I've had very bad experiences with Plusnet who are also reported to be bad all over the web and yet still manage to offer a good service 'officially'. In my experience, all ISP's are fantastic until you have issues. I'd rather pay a bit more and have fantastic support than none at all.

For reference, my SNRM is 6dB (although, it will dance all over the place during throttled periods) down and 26dB up. By all accounts, the performance I see is very good for the length of the line. I have put a lot of effort into cabling and equipment choice though. I'm hoping the same exceptional performance will be seen with an LLU service.

Paul
(experienced) Sun 24-Jun-12 20:20:29
Print Post

In that case go with xilo/uno. Since talktalk use Infineon equipment at most of their exchanges you'll probably find that a router with an Infineon chipset will give you the highest sync speeds. From the top of my head such routers include Netgear dg834g (some versions), dgn1000, draytek 120, 2820, 2830

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Sun 24-Jun-12 20:34:31
Print Post

Also don't get too hung up on speed estimates....they tend to be very conservative. Talktalk told me I could only get 9 meg on a 27db attenuation LOL. As long as your wiring is in tip top shape and you're using a half decent router then you will definitely get higher speeds than you're currently getting on ADSL1

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 24-Jun-12 20:35:41)

Standard User youngsyp
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-12 22:12:11
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice.

One other thing that has just come to mind; My phone line will stay with Sky. Is that normally an issue with LLU suppliers?

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Jun-12 22:34:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
One other thing that has just come to mind; My phone line will stay with Sky. Is that normally an issue with LLU suppliers?
It can be with TalkTalk connections. Some resellers are able to do SMPF (shared connections) and some only do Full (MPF) where the line rental and broadband are together.

Also!

As you are on Sky Connect it's unlikely your line is not a "BT Line", i.e.WLR (Wholesale Line Rental). So there will be no issue if uno do SMPF for TalkTalk connections. If they odn't, and would need to take the line as well, then I'm fairly sure vivaciti do a choice of SMPF or MPF on TalkTalk.

ADSL24 I'm not sure. Theirs may be monthly contract however.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User youngsyp
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-12 22:46:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's great, thanks.

I should have been clearer, when I wrote "my line will stay with Sky", I meant from a payment/ contract perspective.

It looks like Xilo can provide me with ADSL2+ speeds using their Pro 24 75GB package. I'm just waiting to hear back from ADSL24 and Vivacity now and then I can make the decision.

Paul
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Mon 25-Jun-12 01:09:47
Print Post

Paul,

My adsl2+ downstream attenuation of 37dB (formally 34db with adsl1 now adding 3dB for adsl2+) gives me a downstream sync of ~13.5Mbps with uno Pro 24 75GB on a partial LLU (CPW - SMPF) connection. Downstream throughput is always ~11Mbps and upstream throughput is always ~850Kbps and both are very stable - TG585 v7 router.

Incidentally my phone line rental is still with BT on a 12 month contract.

It's certainly is not the cheapest deal for adsl2+ broadband but it's very reliable and uno support is excellent.

BTW. uno Pro 24 75GB is now unlimited off peak.

Best of luck - ADSL24 or Vivaciti may in fact be just as good for your needs smile

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 25-Jun-12 01:18:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to