User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User battletux
(learned) Mon 09-Jul-12 08:20:23
Print Post

Xilo questions

[link to this post]

I'm currently with Plusnet and have been for some time. The service is excellent as is the support.
However I'm looking to move from ADSL MAX to ADSL2 and the only provider at my exchange (Fairford) is TalkTalk.

Personally I'd Never willingly get a service from them as I know there support is terrible. However I was pointed in Xilo's direction as they resell TT LLU but have better support.

Now currently with Plusnet I get 120gb peak usage and unlimited off peak for £18.99 and am no longer in a contract with them.

How would Xilo's Pro 24 75GB product compare? Obviously the cap is a lot lower than what I am used to so that would be an issue. Do Xilo do unlimited off peak like Plusnet? As I already do all non steam related downloading between midnight and 7am.

And is the service worth the extra £7.40 a month and the ridiculously high £40 migration fee?
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jul-12 09:49:32
Print Post

Re: Xilo questions

[re: battletux] [link to this post]

Hi Battletux,

I just found this in the FAQ's at the bottom of their page:
http://www.xilo.net/adsl_broadband/

Q. Do you offer a separate off-peak allowance and is upload data counted?

A. Yes, on our Home and Office (BT) packages, there are peak and off-peak times. Off-peak is not counted. Pro 24 has a 24/7 usage count. Upload is counted on all packages.

Looks like the package you are interested in (Pro 24) has 24x7 usage count.

Regards,

Stuart

Current ISP: Xilo (via Be LLU)
Previous ISP: Zen (for 9 years).
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jul-12 10:02:07
Print Post

The Pro product I believe now is unlimited off peak.

If you want to go on ADSL2 then you could try Vivaciti, they resell TT too (100gb FUP). If you aren't getting 8mb on Plus net then I would recommend trying one of the standard Xilo allowance packages, which have a 200gb off peak FUP.

The benefits of the TT service would be no line profiling and if your line is short, the potential of 24mb speed.

-

Xilo.net Office 21CN

Edited by wolvesmad (Mon 09-Jul-12 10:11:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User battletux
(learned) Mon 09-Jul-12 10:29:38
Print Post

[re: aquilla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aquilla:
Hi Battletux,

I just found this in the FAQ's at the bottom of their page:
http://www.xilo.net/adsl_broadband/

Q. Do you offer a separate off-peak allowance and is upload data counted?

A. Yes, on our Home and Office (BT) packages, there are peak and off-peak times. Off-peak is not counted. Pro 24 has a 24/7 usage count. Upload is counted on all packages.

Looks like the package you are interested in (Pro 24) has 24x7 usage count.

Thats what I saw, but like Wolvesmad I have also read elsewhere that it is now unlimited off peak. Was hoping one of their reps would reply on here.

I currently sync at 7.something meg and get about 700kbps (so around 6~6.5mb) on my line, so would get a nice speed bump moving to ADSL2.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jul-12 10:35:50
Print Post

Changed... looks like that was missed during the package upgrade.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jul-12 10:48:04
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Hi,
There is no longer a 100GB FUP on the variety package.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User rarrar
(member) Mon 09-Jul-12 19:44:28
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Hi,
There is no longer a 100GB FUP on the variety package.

Sorry for going off-topic - but does this mean my existing Surfwise Variety service is now "unlimited" ?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jul-12 19:46:02
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Sounds good.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Mon 09-Jul-12 20:52:57
Print Post

battletux,

Your exchange, Fairford, according to samknows.com is not 21CN enabled. However it might be worth hanging on with Plusnet a while longer and if 21CN becomes available in a few months time then you could get adsl2+ with Plusnet or another ISP.

If waiting for 21CN is not really an option then certainly xilo/uno, vivaciti, etc. partial LLU would be a good move. Actually xilo/uno would allow a move from partial LLU to 21CN, at some point in the future though, via an internal migration, and I believe the uno "21CN Home" products have an unlimited off peak download allowance.

Xilo/uno migration costs do seem rather high but, from personal experience, their support service is superb - I've even had a ticket responded to during the small hours of Sunday night!
Standard User richwel
(committed) Thu 12-Jul-12 19:38:20
Print Post

Before I moved to FTTC I was using this package, I had no problems and the service seemed very reliable.

If you are sync'ed at the full 8Mb and you seek more speed I'd say it would be worth it.
  Print Thread

Jump to