User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 06-Oct-12 23:15:52
Print Post

Tesco ADSL - network provider?

[link to this post]

Just been doing a bit of looking around and Tesco are offering home phone and broadband for 14 quid a month for 12 months and 2.500 clubcard points plus 3 points for every pound spent.

There's a 40 quid setup charge which is waived f you sign up for 12 months so I think it's full LLU.

Anyone know who the network provider is?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Oct-12 00:01:51
Print Post

Re: Tesco ADSL - network provider?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Just been doing a bit of looking around and Tesco are offering home phone and broadband for 14 quid a month for 12 months and 2.500 clubcard points plus 3 points for every pound spent.

There's a 40 quid setup charge which is waived f you sign up for 12 months so I think it's full LLU.

Anyone know who the network provider is?

Cable and wireless.

The network is getting on in age now, but it seems to do the job. The one problem I found is the SNr is fixed at 10db, but with my old netgear with 3rd party firmware I could change that.

That was with ADSl24 on the same network, but not fully unbundled, but I expect it would be the same with Tesco,

i had a pretty long line, well I still got a pretty long line, but it is not used any more and I found the C&W network worked ok.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 00:05:40
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The official default is 9db but there are changes afoot with C&W which means the SNR may change within the first few days.

As below:

Cable&Wireless Worldwide have been working to deliver Dynamic Line Management (DLM) into the LLU network to help improve the service that end users receive. The delivery of DLM is planned over a number of phases The first of which will be looking solely at newly provisioned circuits on the LLU network.

This introduction may impact the service an end user receives in the first few days of service (once synchronisation has been achieved by connecting a CPE) as the system works through the process of assigning the optimal port profile. End users may see variations in speed and resynchronisation events during this period. We expect in most cases that the process should only take a couple of days to stabilise however CWW suggest that any support calls made by end users in the first 10 days of service, related to speed fluctuations and resynchronising events should be treated as an artefact of DLM performing its service optimisation.

Can be disabled upon request and we've already seen this affect circuits in different ways - one being capped at 4Mb from 8.6Mb in 2 days was the most noticeable.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Oct-12 09:38:55
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Why are they doing that? You get a decent network and they muck it up, DLM is a pain in the neck. Ok so it can be switched off, but how will the ISp tell people this?

Thanks for that, I will have to tell my mate about it, saying that he is on a a pretty short line, good quality and get a good speed, so DLM may be ok for him.

Have Vodafone grabbed hold of it yet? If they have then that may be why it is being mucked about with. It was certainly the best wired network I been on and seen.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 07-Oct-12 18:10:53
Print Post

Thanks for all the responses.

Just rsn s check on their site and it says they can't offer broadband only because of a capaciy issue but can offer phone and BB (which makes me think its a full unbundle as I said earlier)

However when I go to proceed with the order I can tick either broadband or home phone, if I tick broadband a MAC is requested, if I tick homephone its not so I'm a little confused though I do understand that for a full unbundle a MAC isn't needed so that's probably why.

I'll give them a call tomorrow although to throw another spanner in the works I'm quite happy with the connection performance since I moved to Freeola who are an Entanet reseller and who have a POP about 3 miles from me as latency between my router and their edge router is 10 ms so part of me thinks I'd be mad to move.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 07-Oct-12 18:57:56)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 19:27:14
Print Post

As to why, the PDF gives the corporate reasoning and is listed in the open document at https://wdslportal.cw.com/support/DLMComms.pdf

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 07-Oct-12 20:00:59
Print Post

It would also appear that if I wanted to move the line back to a BT based service in the future I'd have to pay the full £130 connection charge?

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 20:02:46
Print Post

Possibly, if you go full MPF (phone and BB).

Some providers will do it free, some will charge up to that amount, some a higher amount.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 07-Oct-12 20:12:28
Print Post

Ouch

Might stick where I am for now, as I say it seems somewhat more responsive and my line rental is still with Zen so I know I can quickly get help if anything goes awry with the line.

In all honesty now I prefer to stay with smaller companies as from experience the service and support tends to be better.

Thanks for the info Matt, much appreciated.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Oct-12 21:21:25
Print Post

Have you considered just BB only via a MAC, which you said you could tick? That's not Full LLU (MPF).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to