User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Fri 22-Feb-13 11:49:03
Print Post

Xilo / Cable & Wireless / Murphx

[link to this post]

Have just had a new line installed on the Taunton exchange - LLU providers are C&W, TalkTalk, and Sky.

Unfortunately the cab this line is connected to has been declared non-viable for fibre.

As such I want to go with a suitable LLU provider. The line is rather long, with the property being 3.3KM from the exchange ATCF so the speeds won't be stellar.

As such, I asked the Openreach engineer who installed the line to fit it with a Filtered Faceplate, and I want an ISP that has manual control over the line profiles, as I want to have a 6dB Target Noise Margin with interleaving disabled.

I would choose TalkTalk but as I've just had the line installed am in contract with BT and TalkTalk don't do the broadband by itself, and I know that Sky don't allow fastpath on their lines.

Has anyone on C&W LLU every successfully had their line profile manually changed?

(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 12:28:47
Print Post

Re: Xilo / Cable & Wireless / Murphx

[re: izools] [link to this post]

Your title mentioned Xilo, but not the body of your Question?

If Xilo is an option, I'd whole heartedly recommend them to you - they will work with you to get the best out of the line , plus they are only a 1 month rolling sub - to my mind the ultimate way of putting your money where your mouth is!

Recommend the router I use as well if you like control - Billion 7800n - quite pricey but worth it IMHO
Standard User ncf355
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 12:31:04
Print Post

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

I'd add that I'm probably around the same distance from my exchange a you (possibly a little less) and achieve around 5.5MB compared to the poxy 3MB I used to get with O2

Not that far from you either in WSM!

(OK, for exchange comparison it may as well be Leeds!)

wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Fri 22-Feb-13 12:35:22
Print Post

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

Thanks very much.

All I am having difficulty deciding is whether to opt for Xilo's TalkTalk LLU package or their C&W LLU package, as Tom from Xilo sales reckons it will be difficult convincing C&W to lower the SNR / disable interleaving on a long line...

(committed) Sat 23-Feb-13 18:43:12
Print Post

Hi...

After lots of problems with ADSL2+ via BT kit, DLM appeared to keep playing with my download speed (sync speed up and down more than a Nuns drawers!). On advice from folks here, I went "partial LLU" with Xilo (Uno Broadband). Their Pro 24 package using TalkTalk kit. Fixed 6db profile and I've had a great (except for one BT line fault) experience. Totally stable and a great sync to the exchange.

So basically a VERY happy customer.

PS. Both their O/L and phone support are first class.

----
Mike
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Feb-13 19:10:56
Print Post

I was on a 6dB downstream SNRM when I first connected up, which was more than a year ago, with uno's partial LLU (TT LLU enabled exchange) "pro" product. However I prioritize stability over speed so have interleaving enabled. 13Mbps sync on a 37dB attenuation and a first class service smile

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 23-Feb-13 19:12:14)

Standard User izools
(experienced) Sat 23-Feb-13 19:27:37
Print Post

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

Thank you (both).

I decided to order the C&W LLU product from them in the end.

I couldn't justify having a usage cap like that on an LLU product when there's the option of no limit for £12.99 / PCM.

I think I'll value the unlimited usage more than uber flexible line profiles smile

Thanks again for the input everyone!

(committed) Sat 23-Feb-13 21:08:25
Print Post

I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

But bare in mind that the Pro 24 package is unlimited at weekends and between 12 and 6 am.

Plus they are going to be launching some sort of unlimited Pro package in April of this year.

Hope things work out for you. Good luck.

----
Mike
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sat 23-Feb-13 21:11:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I was on a 6dB downstream SNRM when I first connected up, which was more than a year ago, with uno's partial LLU (TT LLU enabled exchange) "pro" product. However I prioritize stability over speed so have interleaving enabled. 13Mbps sync on a 37dB attenuation and a first class service smile

Don't want to cause any thread drift here (honest) ... but out of interest, what modem/router are you using?

PS. Sorry... I see that you've already answered this before (assuming you are still using the Thomson TG585 v7)!?

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Sat 23-Feb-13 21:14:14)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Feb-13 21:28:05
Print Post

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrBeeline:
Don't want to cause any thread drift here (honest) ... but out of interest, what modem/router are you using?

PS. Sorry... I see that you've already answered this before (assuming you are still using the Thomson TG585 v7)!?

Yes still using a TG585 v7 with 8.2.6.5 generic firmware smile

BTW. have you checked out the new prices for "pro 50GB" unmetered after 8pm, etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to