User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhilWebspace
(newbie) Thu 02-May-13 22:54:36
Print Post

ADSL24 - sold to Coms plc

[link to this post]

My ADSL24 connection went down yet again this evening, so while searching Twitter on my phone for any other victims, I happened upon this story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130502-701503....

Coms plc. (AIM: COMS), The company is pleased to announce it has acquired the broadband customers and certain other assets of So Purple Tech Limited trading as "ADSL24". This includes almost 4,000 broadband customers as well as cloud based mail and hosting for a total consideration of GBP800,000, of which GBP50,000 is in cash and GBP750,000 in Coms ordinary shares of 0.1p each at an agreed price of 1.8p per share. At 30 June 2012 So Purple Tech Limited had gross assets of circa GBP40,000 and the ADSL24 network presently generates a monthly gross margin of approximately GBP20,000 on revenues of circa GBP75,000.

They have been fairly rubbish over the past few months (not relevant to this thread, so I won't go into an in-depth discussion of my connection, but I've seen 40-100% packet loss between 8-10pm most nights) and I'd already made the decision to migrate (to Eclipse, which goes through next week) before I saw this news. They have obviously been struggling somewhat.

Any thoughts?

Edited by PhilWebspace (Thu 02-May-13 22:55:39)

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 10:03:41
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 - sold to Coms plc

[re: PhilWebspace] [link to this post]

Well as far as I understand it, ADSL24 resell Enta, C&W, TT and so on so they haven't actually got a network to struggle.

Any struggle and poor performance thus will be down to someone else ultimately, and I can't think there is much of a way ADSL24 could somehow arrange to reduce the service they buy to save money etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 12:55:32
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

They haven't sold Enta for several years. They moved away completely from them during the early WBC screw-up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 16:08:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They haven't sold Enta for several years. They moved away completely from them during the early WBC screw-up.
They i think use daisy wholesale for their at least for their o2 based products

Standard User PhilWebspace
(newbie) Mon 06-May-13 18:18:44
Print Post

There has been the weirdness recently with them changing their name from ADSL24 to, er, "So Purple" or something similar.

The issues I've been having - which aren't really the topic of this thread - seem to be packet loss in the MurphX network (or whatever it's called this week). I don't really care what the problem is, all I know is that I'd rather be with a different provider!

Incidentally, it seems that this is a sale of the customer base of ADSL24, rather than an outright sale of the company. I can't say that I have ever heard of Coms plc. Their website sent me to sleep.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 20:32:41
Print Post

[re: PhilWebspace] [link to this post]

I have not had any problems with my FTTC connection and hold ADSL24 and their staff in the highest regard. I have never failed to get 110% from them.

I will be getting my MAC if I am no longer with ADSL24 or more importantly, their staff. Have already found a replacement supplier if needed.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 20:46:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Is that absolutely true - who are they using in non-LLU land?
Standard User Kr0n1c
(newbie) Mon 06-May-13 20:58:45
Print Post

I have been with ADSL24 for a few years now and for the past couple of months i have had more connection issue problems than what i have had since joining them.

Surely if a company is sold ect ect they are obliged to let their customers know?
Standard User Kr0n1c
(newbie) Mon 06-May-13 21:45:33
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
I have not had any problems with my FTTC connection and hold ADSL24 and their staff in the highest regard. I have never failed to get 110% from them.

I will be getting my MAC if I am no longer with ADSL24 or more importantly, their staff. Have already found a replacement supplier if needed.

DrT
I could not agree with this more as i would probably do the same.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 22:08:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by therioman:
Is that absolutely true
Yes.

Confusion arose because uniquely amongst the vISPs that looked around they moved their BT Wholesale services as well from Enta, but managed to replicate the Enta packages. I believe they went to Murphx, but although James said they had completely left Enta he didn't say where they had gone.

Maybe they even found some deal with BT Wholesale?

Murphx were later taken over by Daisy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to