User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 24-Jun-13 19:33:58
Print Post

is 9 dB normal for a sky network managed connection?

[link to this post]

Firstly, this most definitely isn't an ISP moan as Xilo have been and continue to be extremely helpful.

Like a lot of folks on here I was apprehensive at the news of Sky purchasing O2's landline broadband assets but apart from a little uptick in latency all has been ok so far.

Last week I did have some router trouble which hammered my line profile but after putting the new one in its been ok.

However twice now it's dropped to around 3590 down from 4500 dropping the throughput from around 4.14 Mbps to just over 3.22

Over the weekend it happened and Xilo have said they can't see anything apart from a 9 dB SNR margin, is this standard for a sky managed connection as if it is I might need to look at Xilo's other packages

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-13 19:41:12
Print Post

Re: is 9 dB normal for a sky network managed connection?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Sky llu customers usually see a 7-8db margin , But if you have a O2wholesale connection with xilo then you should be able to set the target margin to 6 or even 3db and switch Fast path on or off too, can you not do this via their control pannel ?
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 24-Jun-13 19:45:03
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Can request interleaving off via their site, I'm sure they can ask O2W/Sky to adjust the margin.

I'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the response Tommy.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-13 20:13:09
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Yeah, xilo or their 02 wholesale suplier will have access to change snr and fastpath ect , they im sure offer this with o2 whoelsale products,so it shouldn't be an issue
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 25-Jun-13 18:42:57
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Xilo came back and said they can request a 6 dB margin if I wanted to proceed so gave them the go ahead this has now been done and am back up to over 4 meg.

As I say, extremely helpful, quick to respond and pleasant to deal with.

Print Thread

Jump to