User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrishumming63
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:30:38
Print Post

xilo / uno

[link to this post]

EX BE user here, so signed up for xilo (now uno) recently and it's all smooth saling so far. has anyone else signed up with them noticed that the internet light on their router is blinking continuously? this is in spite of no devices being connected (all unplugged). it's a little odd since previously on BE it was a solid green unless there was actual internet activity.

ideas?

otherwise good speeds (14M sync) so farwhich is comparable to my old be connection

edit: I do think it's may be a common setup on xilo since I know someone whom is on the same package (Elite) and has the blinkng internet light symptom

Edited by chrishumming63 (Mon 29-Jul-13 16:46:08)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:53:13
Print Post

Re: xilo / uno

[re: chrishumming63] [link to this post]

Yes I get that also on uno TTB partial LLU with TG585 v7 8.2.6.5 generic routers - most recent adsl/ppp uptime has been 21days with no significant errors, so for me its nothing to worry about smile

What router are you using?
Standard User chrishumming63
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 17:05:18
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Ah I see. it did seem odd that it did not occur on BE before. I am on the elite24 (O2W LLU) package and not TTB so going by your case it would appear to be a coomon setup for xilo users. Wonder why they (i would assume at this point) ping all their users so frequently for?

it's not affecting uptime nor speeds as far as I can tell, but configuring the router firewal and logs might get messy with so much activity 24/7 from the exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 17:19:31
Print Post

Actually today I've just setup the router firewall to be pingable from the WAN (ICMP echo responder...enabled) because Xilo are running a few tests on my line but that makes no difference regarding the flashing internet light on the router - and the router log is not over burdened with events smile
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 31-Jul-13 17:27:53
Print Post

Hi

I think it is because they constantly ping us to check connectivity and latency. I've noticed it like you.

If you go to your account - Packages - My Broadband and Summary, in here they show a ping test and latency, so seems to point to some pinging by them.

You can usually tell some routers to not respond to pings, that stopped the flashing and also the ping test fails in the summary account info.

Regards

Phil
Standard User morphix
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 02:13:19
Print Post

I'm preparing to sign with Xilo/Uno (once that god awful and annoying Sky release my line back to BT).

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Xilo and I think their packages are sensibly priced and attractive without being tied into a 12 months contract.

The only thing which bothers me slightly is that I can NEVER seem to get hold of anyone at that company, either on the live chat or the telephone which is always engaged, or when you do get through, you get some recorded message telling you to call back later, as the staff are all busy!

Normally this doesn't signal a good sign and one wonders what the customer support is like? Any comments?

As long as the service is reliable and stable though (no disconnections) I can probably overlook the absent or hard to reach technical staff..as long as they answer e-mails/support tickets eventually wink

So yeah, any comments would be welcomed.. I'm looking to sign up very soon in the next week or two.
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Thu 05-Sep-13 11:52:38
Print Post

[re: morphix] [link to this post]

My personal experience is that getting a phone answered is a matter of luck - depends how busy they happen to be - but putting in a problem with your account online as a support ticket gets dealt with very quickly (usually)

Derek
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:57:03
Print Post

[re: morphix] [link to this post]

I'd agree that support tickets are usually answered very quickly, within a few hours max in my experience so far.
Haven't tried the phone or chat.
Standard User Magsy
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 13:55:43
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

I've been there a long time, since UKOnline went to SKY. Tickets are usually quick but replies may be anytime of day, I've had fixes at weekends on midnight smile

Never needed to call and never had an proper outage, not one that is their fault anyway. I've not had a slowdown I've been aware of although I am on the most expensive FTTC option.

Not sure they always have the best peering and routing but that is the only criticism I have. UK latency is excellent and stable, 12-13ms from South Wales > London.
  Print Thread

Jump to