User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 20-Feb-14 10:48:59
Print Post

Coms/adsl24 dns errors

[link to this post]

Been struggling to get to many sites yesterday evening and this morning. Unable to complete the dns lookup. Eventually spoke to CS (Paul, if you want to hear a totally disinterested member of support staff listen to the call 09.14 this morning).

Apparently there is a "global issue". No details and no idea when it will be fixed.
On pressing him he confirmed it is a "global issue inside Coms and they'd had a couple of callas about it, but no update aas to when it would be fixed.

Taken my all morning to get on here. Not very impressed Coms.... no twitter update, no warning emails, no posting of problems anywhere. No good really is it. Paul your name is COMS so start COMmunicating!

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-14 11:04:17
Print Post

Re: Coms/adsl24 dns errors

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Im on coms dns and been fine all morning

Just use opendns, i did that when adsl24 dns servers used to die

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 20-Feb-14 11:04:36)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 20-Feb-14 12:37:50
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

problem was bob, at times couldnt even get google to come up

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-14 12:39:29
Print Post

Change them in your router next time to these

Right them down tho incase you cant get on here to check wink

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 20-Feb-14 12:39:48)

Standard User tonytiger07
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 13:34:04
Print Post

Woody, good to hear I'm not alone (again), but it's not good it's happened.

I also couldn't access sites using coms dns, so switched to google dns as a temporary workaround (I even rebooted the router first to be sure it wasn't a glitch at my end - I don't think I've rebooted my router so much in such a short space of time!)

Anyway, I raised a ticket at about 07:50, and 50 minutes later got this response:
"Please be advised that i have check your account and run line test that come with no fault on line. Also i have reset the Data Port, could you please remove google public, test the line and advise with results?"

No admittance of any dns issues, or any investigation into possibility of dns issues at their end. I won't be able to retest until tonight when I get back home.

Also, because the port got reset my connection died again, but not knowing what was going on I ended up rebooting the router again to see if that resolved it - and because it worked after that I was beginning to think my kit was faulty...

And to be fair to coms, if they had sent you an email you probably wouldn't have received it - so they were just optimising the process by not sending one in the first place wink
Standard User nickscs
(member) Thu 20-Feb-14 14:33:46
Print Post

I use Open DNS since ADSL24 server problems years ago too. And Google , Google DNS + 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:23:36
Print Post

[re: nickscs] [link to this post]

Tony, my router got rebooted 3 times this mornig n just to be sure.

I didn't/don't know anything about open dns etc, so not sure how it works? Also to be fair, i shouldn't have to really should I???

Woody

regards,
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:25:25
Print Post

In your router there will be a setting to get dns servers automatically from ISP, or manually configure them. Just put those dns servers in that i posted.

No you shouldnt, but nothing is perfect and its a simple fix while they sort them out. Mine have been fine all day though

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 20-Feb-14 15:25:37)

Standard User ebuygum
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 18:26:22
Print Post

It's an awful long time since I've been on this forum but I've not had any need until now. I realised there were DNS problems at about 7:30 this morning and, after trying OpenDNS, put a ticket in at 7:55. To be fair, I had 3 phone calls from Coms within the hour, 4 if you count the first one which my wife dismissed because she thought someone was selling something (!). That included one that said it should be OK now so could I try it. I changed DNS back, flushed DNS, and it seemed to work. That said there I've been some sites that I've been unable to access during the day and I just lost Google. So I think all is still not well. I've switched to Google DNS for the time being.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 20-Feb-14 18:30:57
Print Post

[re: ebuygum] [link to this post]

grrrrr gone again. Peeede off now! have managed to get on here and will try the above suggestions ta.

Well that didnt seem to work , sigh

regards,

Edited by ukwoody (Thu 20-Feb-14 18:33:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to