User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User My_brain_hurts
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 22:15:05
Print Post

COMS email blocked?

[link to this post]

Here's one for you...

Since I've been changed over to COMS I have tried sending a few people email (using my ADSL24 email address), who have @btinternet addresses, only to get a Mail Delivery System bounce stating

"The following address(es) failed....host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD..."

I never had this when on ADSL24. It looks like the COMS mail server IP is blacklisted though I looked up the IP blocks and found nothing against them. I can send to the very same @btinternet recipients using alternative email addresses from my end ie yahoo, gmail etc.

Also I previously had access to several of my email addresses blocked when I was changed over to COMS with a note left by the email servers stating 'your IP address has changed' as a reason! Very odd

Anyone else noticed this? Jeez...
Standard User SimpleSimon1
(newbie) Sat 22-Feb-14 11:17:54
Print Post

Re: COMS email blocked?

[re: My_brain_hurts] [link to this post]

Yep, it actually started happening just before the great migration. I raised a ticket, it was escalated with their backbone suppliers and, after a few days, they came back and said that it appeared to be fixed, but if it happened again, I should switch my outgoing mail server to an alternative server address (which they supplied). However, they problem did indeed seem to be fixed so I stuck with my original mail server address.

As you have seen, it is now reoccurring (only with btinternet addresses)....but, like a numpty, I didn't record the alternative server address from my ticket, and the old ticket data hasn't yet been migrated to the new ticket system frown

Will give them a ring and see if I can get them to find the old ticket, with its new server address. In the meantime, I suggest everyone affected should raise tickets just to make sure that they know about it.

Can't blame a support desk if no-one tells them there is a problem smile
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Feb-14 01:25:40
Print Post

[re: SimpleSimon1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SimpleSimon1:
Can't blame a support desk if no-one tells them there is a problem smile

Isn't any half competent organisation going to monitor its network 24/7 and not rely on spikes in support calls to alert them that something has fallen over or the hamster needs a prod?

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:20:29
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Well, maybe if it's a network outwork outage or similar. But, emails to one specific domain bouncing...who knows? TBH, I'm a lot more exercised about the recent DNS shenanigans and the deafening silence from their support people whilst a lot of users were having issues!
Standard User quoddle
(newbie) Sun 23-Feb-14 15:11:56
Print Post

Like others I had this with Adsl24.co.uk and was told to switch my server to hosting.adsl24.co.uk

That still didn't work but eventually it got fixed. It's happening again now, since last Thursday with me, even with this server.

I've logged a ticket with Coms who replied:
"We are currently aware of an issue in regards to email bouncebacks on the Coms network - our engineers are currently working towards a resolution as a priority.

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing. "

Three days later and no update and still getting bounced. That goodness for Hotmail.
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 13:37:50
Print Post

[re: quoddle] [link to this post]

Looks like it has been fixed now (again!).....well. at least they're no longer bouncing back.Just waiting for confirmation that the emails have actually gotten to where they were mean to go!
Standard User My_brain_hurts
(learned) Mon 24-Feb-14 16:25:47
Print Post

From what I can gather BT use a seperate company to spam filter incoming email to their customers and it appears that they use a blacklist to check which IPs emails have come from.

All I can conclude then is that the Coms email server IP has been blacklisted at some time. That would explain why my emails to @btintenet customers are refused.

Quite why several of my existing external email accounts were suspended, due to my IP having changed to one belonging to Coms, is a bit more difficult to understand as I've never had that happen in the 20 or so years I've been on the Net. I'm wondering if the IP or IP block that Coms swapped me over to was also blacklisted.

What really rattles me with the whole changeover to Coms is the fact that most of the time we are kept in the dark about problems. Why on earth isn't there a status page on their site (or have I missed it). On the whole very very unprofessional.
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Mon 24-Feb-14 17:51:47
Print Post

[re: My_brain_hurts] [link to this post]

Speaking about blacklisted ips i wondered if this is whats happened for me too as i have a website that won't load from my coms connection since they changed me over from adsl24, previously it worked perfectly.
This saga has gone since start of the month with no solution in sight and sadly i've thrown in the towel with them and will move to sky.
The site worked perfectly from my mobile and my work and anywhere else except a coms connection, i tried another user from this forum and he got the same result.
Hate moving to sky but felt i was being shunted from pillar to post and getting no where, numerous phone calls and Pms on here gave no results.
  Print Thread

Jump to