User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ross1701
(learned) Mon 17-Mar-14 02:16:52
Print Post

Are Coms now throttling?

[link to this post]

Are coms now throttling?

Tonight since about 10 or 11pm I've noticed both usenet and torrents being throttled to about 350kB/sec. I thought it was originally something amiss at my end so I've tried other servers etc but all remain capped at approx 350kB/sec. I checked the settings and its nothing wrong at my end.
Normal http downloads seem unaffected and so does video streaming. They come in at around 730kB/sec which for me is my max speed.

I've been a long long time customer of ADSL24 and very happy overall with their level of service and support. I was weary of this coms migration as when companies get taken over, the service can sometimes suffer but I'll give coms a chance. The actual changeover went okay, no loss of service that was noticeable. The only couple of noticeable things are that the 'my account' page on the coms site where I could previously change my line options is greyed out and that my usage data was blank for 1 -15th Feb and only came back from 15th Feb onwards. I opened a ticket and eventually got told it was due to the changeover (well d'uh) and just to wait and it will get sorted. Not impressed.

If it is throttling then will actively look to leave.

- -
Ross.
ISP History: ClaraNet dialup > Freedontnet dialup > ClaraNet dialup/ISDN > Central Point Satellite > Firefly ISDN > Telewest 10Mb cable > ADSL24 Entanet > ADSL24 MurphX

ADSL24 / MurphX
Edinburgh ISPC Node

Edited by ross1701 (Mon 17-Mar-14 02:46:47)

Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Mon 17-Mar-14 04:45:31
Print Post

Re: Are Coms now throttling?

[re: ross1701] [link to this post]

Same problem here. Normally I can get 3.5mbps using usenet but tonight I am down to just 10% of that at 350kbps. Really does annoy me I have been with ADSL24 for years and then coms comes along and I am now faced with having to find a new decent ISP again.

I am not really a heavy user either. In the years I have been with ADSL24 I never came close to using my 30gbs per month allowance. The comical thing about this is I am getting 350kbps speeds at 4am in the morning. I mean seriously how can there be congestion at 4am in the morning ?

Edited by charmingcharlie (Mon 17-Mar-14 04:46:08)

Standard User ross1701
(learned) Mon 17-Mar-14 05:03:07
Print Post

[re: charmingcharlie] [link to this post]

I would have thought that 4-5am on a Monday morning would be one of the quietest times.
Why they need to throttle now is beyond me. 4-5pm on a Saturday afternoon I could see a reason for but not right now.

Cheeses me off that Coms are now apparently throttling in the first place after saying that nothing would change from ADSL24. "would not be adversely affected" or some such I think they said in that letter.
The lack of throttling was one of the main reasons I chose ADSL24 when I first got ADSL.. Previously living in a cable served area kinda spoiled me!
Oh well, MAC requested.

I guess I'll have to spend some time researching my alternatives. Pain in the butt! I've been on ADSL24 since about 2008 so I guess the marketplace has changed since then.

- -
Ross.
ISP History: ClaraNet dialup > Freedontnet dialup > ClaraNet dialup/ISDN > Central Point Satellite > Firefly ISDN > Telewest 10Mb cable > ADSL24 Entanet > ADSL24 MurphX

ADSL24 / MurphX
Edinburgh ISPC Node

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aibreeze
(newbie) Mon 17-Mar-14 07:50:03
Print Post

Yeah I noticed throttling at around 10:49pm.. tested it out on steam and was getting speeds of around 950kbps but on my torrent it wouldn't go higher than 130kbps. Now I've woke up this morning and even my general download speed is lower too plus streaming speed reported is like 3% of my connection speed.

Edited by aibreeze (Mon 17-Mar-14 07:58:33)

Standard User Benjanyan
(newbie) Mon 17-Mar-14 09:55:16
Print Post

Tested it with the Ubuntu live CD and I'm hitting about 250KB/s at the most. That's something that should be well seeded and to prove that, I ran the it on my VPS too and it ate it for breakfast at 8MB/s.

Normal HTTP traffic seems fine. I don't use usenet.

Edited by Benjanyan (Mon 17-Mar-14 09:55:48)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Mar-14 18:05:52
Print Post

Try Xilo. I was also with ADSL24 and jumped ship months ago. I can unreservedly recommend them. The have my web hosting too.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Mar-14 18:28:04
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Usenet slow too, getting 150kbps should be 800+

Dunno if its intentional or some problem, never had issues before
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Mon 17-Mar-14 18:35:26
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Whelp I pulled the trigger and have requested my MAC code. I was with ADSL24 for 7 long years and for the most part I was happy with them. I would have stayed with Coms.com (stupid name) if they had kept the same level of service as ADSL24 but with the recent DNS screwups and now this usenet throttling I just don't see why I should pay £30 a month for a service that is approaching Talk Talk levels of quality.

Cheers for the suggestion Dr Teeth. I have been looking at Xilo and so far they seem perfect and tick pretty much all the boxes. The only black mark I can think of so far is that they require a 12 month contract period which is always something I have tried to avoid. So I am going to have a look around a bit more (very rusty at this since it has been 7 years since I last had to shop for an ISP). However right now Xilo is my preferred choice.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Mar-14 18:38:44
Print Post

[re: charmingcharlie] [link to this post]

Throttling seems strange. Sunday night seems a odd time to implement it (it was fine Sunday afternoon) and as we're still in peak usage it shouldnt matter how much we download as we're in a download limit anyway. Never been throttled before

Could something break at coms hq to cause this? I dunno how it all works

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 17-Mar-14 18:39:07)

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Mar-14 18:52:29
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

My speeds just shot back up to normal? Anyone else try it now

Edit: And now slow again although faster than earlier

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 17-Mar-14 19:01:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to