User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User highlander317
(member) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:52:25
Print Post

THe great COMS. announcement

[link to this post]

With only hours to go until the expected announcement from Paul@Coms what are people expecting?
For me I'll be expecting to be getting online tomorrow evening and probably ordering a MAC code as I can't see how they can adjust pricing to account for peoples loss of service level because of throttling, I'll be amazed if its any good news.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:07:02
Print Post

Re: THe great COMS. announcement

[re: highlander317] [link to this post]

The trial runs until Monday. Could be the end of Monday the trial runs to, and then they have to analyse the data and decide what to do, so maybe Tuesday onwards before we know.
Standard User ross1701
(regular) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:23:22
Print Post

We'll probably get some corporate BS about how the throttle is "necessary to ensure a good level of service for all users because of a minority of users who sit on usenet and p2p all day... and a reminder that we don't port block."
"But if you'd like to pay us an extra £10 per month for an unthrottled connection..."

I'd call a 20-30kbps throttle all but port blocking in name.

Simple fact is that if they keep this throttling as it is, they have to drop their current prices to remain competitive with others who offer the same kind of service otherwise they'll have a mass migration. Or they drop the throttle. (which they wont).

Whatever, I now don't believe anything they tell us. They have already lied to us with that letter saying that as a result of the Coms takeover it wont have any "adverse affect on your broadband connection"...
A 30kbps cap isn't adverse then?
And blaming OpenDNS when it was an Enta routing problem... not to mention the complete lack of support from 'support' - "replace your router, microfilters and cabling" pfffft.

- -
Ross.
ISP History: ClaraNet dialup > Freedontnet dialup > ClaraNet dialup/ISDN > Central Point Satellite > Firefly ISDN > Telewest 10Mb cable > ADSL24 > Coms (but for how much longer...?)

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aibreeze
(learned) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:27:39
Print Post

I'm expecting the announcement to be loud and clear.. "use Bit Torrent or Usenet? GTFO!"
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:34:22
Print Post

[re: ross1701] [link to this post]

Simple fact is that if they keep this throttling as it is, they have to drop their current prices to remain competitive with others who offer the same kind of service otherwise they'll have a mass migration. Or they drop the throttle. (which they wont).

Out of interest, how do Vivaciti keep competitive? There Family 3 package (3gb peak usage) is roughly the same as what i pay on coms for 100GB peak usage. Granted i dont think they throttle, but seems alot for 3gb and their peak hours end later

Edited by bobble_bob (Sun 30-Mar-14 22:34:45)

Standard User highlander317
(member) Mon 31-Mar-14 05:50:04
Print Post

[re: aibreeze] [link to this post]

Thats what im expecting, thougt they may have an additional tariff for those that want unthrottled etc but the price will be stupid.
Why take over an ispgive all users more to use inpeak times then wonder why useage has gone up. I was more than happy with off peak 12am-8am and all weekends, why not introduce a cap on off peak?
Lee
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 08-Apr-14 19:52:26
Print Post

So, here we are Tuesday 8th April.... and still no statement,comment or promised email.

Not good really is it?

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User Gari
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Apr-14 20:06:08
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

It's like the line options we were meant to have on Feb 1st .... then it was some other date ... and now it is brushed under the carpet and forgotten.

I think the Coms way of doing things is to throw the dogs a bone every now and again to keep them quiet for a bit. But now the dogs have become rabid and hungry....
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 08-Apr-14 20:18:53
Print Post

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

yep, I'm just debating pushing the button to move isp myself, been holding on, and Paul did ease my browsing for me as it was slow (I'm a standard user no p2p etc) but tbh I'm fed up with not hearing anything and everything just being pushed back and back timewise

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User ross1701
(regular) Tue 08-Apr-14 21:13:12
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

The way we have been treated by Coms is diabolical and completely unacceptable. The total lack of official communication, the broken promises, the stealth throttling to near port blocking, etc etc.
I was too holding off on moving as its a P.I.T.A to do and organise but enough is enough.
Its not just the moderate to heavy users they have enraged, the low users are leaving now too...
I'm surprised they'll have a business left at the rate they are going. Way to take one of the best ISPs going and totally destroy it!

- -
Ross.
ISP History: ClaraNet dialup > Freedontnet dialup > ClaraNet dialup/ISDN > Central Point Satellite > Firefly ISDN > Telewest 10Mb cable > ADSL24 > Coms (but for how much longer...?)

My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to