User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikebear
(regular) Mon 31-Mar-14 10:47:08
Print Post

A boquet for COMS.

[link to this post]

I guess that at the age of 75 I am too old to be a "Fanboy" but would like to report that I have, the best speeds ever.

Following advice on this forum,I phoned CS and asked for SRN to be set at 6db.This was done right away and my speed jumped from 2.5Mbps to 4Mbps and now averages about 3.6Mbps.

When I found that my voicemail was not working, a phone call resulted in it being working within 2 hours, as promised.

In both cases the phone calls were answered right away.

I am sure that the change over from Adsl24 has been more problematic than anticipated. I doubt COMS went out of their way to annoy customers.

If their changes result in heavy users moving to the likes of Plusnet,so be it.More bandwidth for the rest of us with moderate habits .
Standard User stevepressman
(member) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:23:43
Print Post

Re: A boquet for COMS.

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

Glad you have had a happy experience with Coms!!

Your quip however about heavy users is not so good though, I am a heavy user, that was one of the things that ADSL24 offered and that is why I pay £30 a month for my Fibre connection. Those of us who pay that much were entitled to be heavy users as that is what we paid for and that is why evening and weekends were unlimited downloads.

Enjoy your extra bandwidth while it lasts Mike I am sure they will manage to screw that up soon too!

Steve

Standard User aibreeze
(learned) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:28:39
Print Post

My speeds went up too once I had my SNR set to 6db which was initially great but the whole thing is overshadowed by my connection being throttled to 20kbps at peak times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:00:22
Print Post

I think he means "bouquet".

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User mikebear
(regular) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:24:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You are right, Batboy, as you are so often.

I rely on Spellchecker too much and although it shows wavy red line now I'm sure it didn't earlier.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:41:57
Print Post

Re: A bouquet for COMS.

It (the wavy red line) rose later.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Shroompicker
(newbie) Mon 31-Mar-14 16:57:12
Print Post

[re: stevepressman] [link to this post]

What is a 'heavy user' exactly?

I probably use about 40gb of my 500gb (previously 100) monthly peak allowance on an FTTC connection, and probably the same again off peak. Most of my traffic unfortunately for me is p2p bittorrent. Does that make me a heavy user?

If it is the uber heavy p2p users that providers want to target is it not now possible to target those users individually and put them on a 'bad-boy pipe' so to speak during peak? I don't understand why ISPs must utilize punitive 'collective punishment' measures. Hard to believe that the tools are not available to target individually when absolutely needed.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Mar-14 17:06:48
Print Post

[re: Shroompicker] [link to this post]

I dont think its necessarily the amount you download, its everyone maxing out their connection at once that causes issues. If i understand how it works, ISPs dont pay for x number of gig, they pay for the maximum throughput at any one time (probably a better wording for it). So more users downloading at the same time, and more people on faster connections will result in that throughput needing to be higher
Standard User stevepressman
(member) Mon 31-Mar-14 17:47:34
Print Post

[re: Shroompicker] [link to this post]

You don't have to defend your use mate, it is what you paid for when you signed up with ADSL24, Coms have moved the goal posts not us.

So what If I am a heavy user it is what I pay for, it is what ADSl24 were happy to provide for me, you want less you pay less and all those bleating heavy users spoil it for everybody else, you know jack [censored]! It worked and worked well on ADSL24 I don't ever remember reading anything about packet loss or poor speed on here when 24 were in charge. We are all being hoodwinked here into accepting a very poor lesser service for the same money!

If there is an upside it is that my allowance has increased from a 30GB to a 500GB or about 20 GB a day on peak times, big deal can't even get full speed then either as they have throttled the hell out of the daytime P2P and NNTP too, so in fact they have given me nothing extra as I don't have a hope in hell of using any of my allowance. I have lost 20 hours of off peak time too as they have moved the traffic shaping to 00:00 so in fact I have gained nothing at all from them except a totally useless service unless I want to surf the net. The packet loss has not been fixed either you can see that on my BQM link in my signature.

Bottom line is a few users have gained some extra GB off peak usage, a few have have gained 20 hours more off peak time but in truth we have gained nothing apart from a proper read end shafting from Coms.com

Steve

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Mar-14 18:04:40
Print Post

[re: stevepressman] [link to this post]

It worked and worked well on ADSL24 I don't ever remember reading anything about packet loss or poor speed on here when 24 were in charge.

While i agree it worked well on ADSL24, you have to remember they sold the company twice within the space of 1 year. Maybe the perfect service we got with adsl24 wasnt sustainable for the price they offered? Who knows
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to