User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LC100
(member) Mon 31-Mar-14 16:56:20
Print Post

Xilo/Uno FTTC, is there a general problem or just me

[link to this post]

Hi

Just wondering if anyone on Xilo/Uno getting the same issue today. Seems to be lots of packet loss and very poor download speeds. Usually download/upload is around 74/18, upload okay now but download very poor at around 5-7Mbps.

Packet loss started from around 11ish today, no one has been using the connection until now. Modem still sync'd at 80/20.

BMQ

Speedtest
Standard User LC100
(member) Mon 31-Mar-14 18:43:26
Print Post

Re: Xilo/Uno FTTC, is there a general problem or just me

[re: LC100] [link to this post]

Hi

Things seem to be getting back to normal and the packet loss has stopped. Speed tests are back up at +70Mbps and browsing/streaming is working without issues again.

Hope this isn't a sign of congestion in the afternoons, although given packet loss started at mid day and continued all afternoon I assume it was some problem somewhere.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Apr-14 00:46:44
Print Post

Nothing that we're aware of but could be related to general 21CN congestion reported recently.

Always best to get in touch and let us know if such problems when they are occurring so we can investigate at the time of the problem.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Tue 01-Apr-14 00:51:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 01-Apr-14 08:38:18
Print Post

Didn't see anything on my connection for the times you mention.
I am sometimes seeing some slowdown around 7pm onwards in the evening with increased jitter but nothing that's noticeable when using the connection which is why I haven't bothered contacting support.

An educated guess due to the timing suggests to me something local/backhaul given that xilo and Daisy seem to have more of a business customer focus.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User LC100
(member) Tue 01-Apr-14 17:40:49
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks both.

Yes there was a lot of packet loss so something was going on, it made doing anything hit and miss during that time even ignoring the slower speeds.

All okay so far this evening, no repeat of yesterday. I too see a little more variation in speeds from afternoons onwards, nothing major and of course I'm not paying for an uncontended connection anyway.

Matt, will contact if I get something similar again.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Apr-14 17:56:12
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Nothing on our end will be causing this due to the capacity that is spare in the network but this could be the amount of capacity BT have allowed to the cab.

Over the last few months the amount of times that BT are having to increase the cab following issues affecting users on that cab has increased but they control the bandwidth allowance to each cab, similar to what used to be seen with the amount of capacity provisioned to VPs on 20CN.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Apr-14 18:00:43
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Is that the same for LLU connections or wont the BT capacity effect anything?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Apr-14 18:06:02
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Unlikely as this was from Wholesale not Openreach.

The comms from BT in this regard refer to a "SFBB Bandwidth" report and for what has been forwarded shows "current build bandwidth" , "regrade threshold" and "current utilised bandwidth" which is over a 3 hour period.

Matt

uno Broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to