User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caley
(regular) Tue 15-Apr-14 20:55:27
Print Post

Connecting to Xilo

[link to this post]

I'm moving to Xilo on Thursday and the package I have chosen is the Pro (LLU - TTB). I was hoping somebody here could let me know what to expect when it goes live. I've never purchased a LLU package before so I don't know what to expect connection wise. I know I'll have to put the necessary information into my modem/router which is ok but line wise will it be the same as when I moved to Zen, waiting 10 days for the line to "settle" for your optimum speed to be reached etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Apr-14 22:41:04
Print Post

Re: Connecting to Xilo

[re: caley] [link to this post]

Once you have left BT, your sync is the speed you transfer at. There was no DLM when I was on LLU many moons ago.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Apr-14 22:46:45
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Once you have left BT, your sync is the speed you transfer at. There was no DLM when I was on LLU many moons ago.
After thinking about it, I realise what you mean. As put, to me it means your speed after transfer is the same as before transfer. Which, of course, it probably isn't.

I think you mean your speed is what you receive after transfer and doesn't vary much thereon?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 15-Apr-14 22:47:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Apr-14 22:57:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No. When I was with LLU, my sync was my download speed and vice-versa. With BT (the 10 days to settle down as the OP put it) one could have a given sync and miss on a higher transfer speed 'cos one was just a tad too slow to go up to the next speed band/profile.

Unless LLU these days has DLM and profiling.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 15-Apr-14 23:05:51
Print Post

[re: caley] [link to this post]

If you are confident in what speeds / noise margin your line can support then you could ask to go on a fixed profile. No need to wait.
For example I asked for a 6db fast path setting the same day the line went live with my TTB Pro package. This can take up to 24 hours to go through.

The downside to this is that if you have a variable quality line then you may end up with an unstable connection as the modem will always connect at (in my example) 6db no matter how bad things get.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Apr-14 23:14:21
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

?
I know you are quite knowledgeable, so you must be not feeling up to scratch smile.

That is just gibberish as a post and rubbish with respect to fact. That is not at all like you are normally.

For starters, on any ADSLx connection, BT Wholesale or LLU, there are overheads of typically 13% or a bit more taken from the sync before obtaining the maximum transfer speed, those being made up of the TCP/IP packaging within the internet and the ATM splitting up of those packets between the DSLAM/MSAN and the user modem.

FTTP is a little different in that there are no ATM overheads. Just TCP/IP.

Or, in fewer words, "my sync was my download speed and vice-versa" is impossible.

The best I ever saw was O2/Be LLU where the transfer speed could be as high as 84% of sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 15-Apr-14 23:16:50)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Apr-14 23:48:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think you mean your speed is what you receive after transfer and doesn't vary much thereon?
I read his statement as your throughput is the same as your sync speed, which it can't possibly be due to overheads.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Apr-14 23:52:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Isn't that what I said? Or were you just agreeing with me smile.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Apr-14 01:29:59
Print Post

I do agree with you but hadn't read yours at the time.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User caley
(regular) Wed 16-Apr-14 06:43:31
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

I am not leaving BT, it's just keeping my BT line but going through TTB. I'm hoping my speeds will go up a bit. My stats (below) are not what I actually get, it's always less than that mainly on a good day 6.9 down and 370 up but in the evening it's abysmal.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 19.0 db 11.0 db
Noise Margin 11.6 db 25.0 db

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to